3hp evinrude lighttwin

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So my father lent me his mid '50s 3hp to push around a jon boat in the marsh this fall. When I picked it up we tested it in the tank, it started but not easily, we had to choke it and then it would die almost immediately. So I picked up a carb kit and rebuilt it. It was my first marine carb rebuild but it went pretty smooth. I do have a few questions though.

1. The kit came with extra gaskets, packing washers?, a large thick o-ring, and a couple of nylon washers, did I miss something or are these for other motors?

2.The small thick gasket (boss gasket?) that goes on the high speed nozzle is not very tight, that is to say I could pull it off even though the nozzle is tight. It is a slightly different shape than the cork one it replaced. Should this be tight?

3.When I tightened the nuts that hold the carb to the powerhead, somehow I sort of stripped the bolt/nut:eek:, I say sort of because I flipped the nut over and got it reasonably tight. Is this really bad?:confused:

I haven't tried the motor yet maybe in the tank tomorrow, if it works I might try the lake.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3hp evinrude lighttwin

1. They put extra parts in the kit to confuse a feller.
2. The cork gasket needs to be thick enough to be squeezed when the float bowl is installed, that is all that is required
3. Dunno, do you think it will hold? If it is loose it will allow air to suck past the gasket.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

You can replace that stripped stud. You do not want an air leak there.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The extra gaskets are for different carbs. They made one kit fit many carbs. cheaper thataway.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks men! Thats what I thought for the gaskets. I think I understand how the cork gasket works now. And as for the stripped bolt I think it will hold but I'll have to keep an eye on it. I appreciate your feedback, this forum rocks!!:)

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I got it running in the tank, but I'm a little confused on where the water is supposed to exit the motor, i.e. I didn't see any water coming out:confused:, does it come out through the exhaust under water? or am I missing something. I'm kinda new to these tiny little lightwins

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Most of the water comes out under water but there are a series of holes about midway up the leg. Water should spray out those holes. If not, your water pump is weak and/or the holes are clogged.

The water pump needs to be changed anyway. It's simple on that engine. 20 minutes max.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'm not familiar with the 3hp's at all. Does the powerhead have to come off to change the impeller like the 5.5's or how does the shift linkage disconnect?

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok then hooray!:( anybody have an exploded view brp's site doesn't go back that far
is this the right part #18-3201?

Last edited:

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

"ok then hooray! anybody have an exploded view brp's site doesn't go back that far"

No, it splits just below the "bulge" in the lower unit. Four bolts, if I remember right. if you have the "slanted" weedless lower unit. It's a 20 minute job.

Look at the diagrams for later engines. OMC had that "slanted/weedless" lower unit through the seventies.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I'm going to change the water pump but do I need the whole kit with a new grommet and pin(iboats doesn't sell them) or just the impeller and plate and how does the drive shaft come out? does it just slide out?

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bump
please help how is drive shaft removed with lower unit?

Last edited:

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so as I was replacing the impeller I accidentally pulled the drive shaft out of the gear case:eek: I know that now I have to disassemble the gearcase and put it all back together. So is there anything that I should know, does anybody have any tips, or is it straightforward? This is my first time dis/reassembling a gearcase.
I really appreciate you guys and all of your wisdom and experience :)

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really need help removing the bearing assembly so that I can reassemble the gear case. I've read that one should use a puller for this but I don't get how. I removed the two screws that hold it on but it appears that the threads don't start until in the gearcase, i.e. there aren't any threads in the holes through the bearing assembly only behind it in the gearcase, so what would the puller pull?
Someone please help!

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:redface:OK so I feel kinda dumb, I finally figured out that the bearing assembly just has to be worked out with a little hammering, duh. I'm wondering if you guys just wanted to see me figure it out for myself, well I did.:p
Anybody know where I can get a new grommet for the water pump? Maybe the local rude dealer?