That little Zinc rudder?

Texasbikers

Cadet
2000 Bayliner 1850 DX, Merc with the V-6

Runs great, but noticed the little zink rudder that is directly above the prop on the outdrive and it adjustable left and right is not there. There is a round flat zinc plate in there just not the one I usually see with the little rudder on it.

The boat drives straight on plane, steers great no real torque steer when I put the hammer down. It is hard to drive stright at low no wake speed in the marinas.

Is something missing, do I need that little rubber and will it help me go straight at no wake speeds?

Thanks all!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: That little Zinc rudder?

If you have no torque steer issues, I would not worry about it. The rudder (trim tab) is only for torque steer, it will not help for low speed wander. The only solution for that is hull mounted trim tabs operated in the full down position and/or lots of small helm corrections.

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: That little Zinc rudder?

The later models no longer have that "rudder" but have the flat plate you're talking about. If you have no pull right or left at speed then you don't need it. As mentioned, it does nothing for wander which is a function of the I/O and the hull (somewhat).