NY Moose

ricksrster

Commander
Moose regain footing in N.Y.

Roughly 500 of the animals are thought to be in rural areas

Jay Gallagher
Albany bureau

Post Comment
(September 30, 2007) ? ALBANY ? The moose are loose in northern New York.

The number of moose, which until 20 years ago were almost never seen in New York, is now estimated at 500, the state Department of Environmental Conservation said Thursday.
"It's wonderful to see this marvelous animal make its way back to New York," said DEC Commissioner Pete Grannis, who noted that the moose disappeared from New York around the end of the Civil War because of unregulated hunting and the chopping down of woodlands for farms.
But in some rural parts of the state, especially around the Adirondack Park, the animals, which weigh as much as 1,400 pounds and stand over 6 feet tall at their shoulders, have returned as well.
"Basically, it kind of surprised us that these animals were taking to New York," said Chuck Dente, a DEC biologist. "They have adapted quite well."
The state has recorded 12 moose-automobile collisions so far this year ? a record even before the start of breeding season, when the animals are most active. DEC is working with the state Department of Transportation to determine where moose-crossing signs might be placed. The animals are most active at dawn and dusk. They are hard to see at night because of their dark brown-to-black coloring and height, which puts their head and much of their body above the range of headlights.
Moose will eat 40 to 60 pounds of vegetation a day. Typically, they eat leaves, twigs and buds of hardwood and softwood trees. In summer, they might eat aquatic vegetation. Hunting them is illegal.
The original returnees wandered in from New England and Canada, but now there is evidence they are reproducing in New York, according to the DEC.

"We are now receiving numerous reports of sightings of cows with calves, a good sign of a prolific moose population," Dente said.
Sometimes they have wandered into populated areas. Earlier this year a young male tramped through Troy in Rensselaer County, swam across the Hudson River and walked through a back yard in Waterford, Saratoga County, before DEC officials tranquilized him and sent him back to the wilderness.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: NY Moose

Given New Yorkers appetite for hunting,there soon will be pet moose in my suburban back yard.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just don't hunt 'em like these guys do!

"http://www.break.com/index/how-to-****-off-a-moose.html"

Bondo

Staff member

A moose was struck by a car and killed on West Main Street just outside the city of Watertown Saturday morning.

The death follows two moose sightings Friday in and around the city.

The car was extensively damaged. The driver Michelle Atchie of Watertown was treated and released from Samaritan Medical Center with a minor head injury.

The Jefferson County Sheriff's Department says looking at the damage caused by the collision she was lucky she wasn't more seriously injured.

The road was blocked off for a short while as crews cleaned the scene and removed the moose.

The Department of Environmental Conservation says the moose population is ten times larger than a decade ago. That means moose sightings in the North Country are going to be much more common.

During mating season, which is going on right now, moose are more likely to wander. That's waht the DEC thinks happened in this case.

The moose killed is most likely the one that's been spotted around the area since Friday.

While moose sightings in and around the city of Watertown won't be an everyday occurence, Saturday morning's accident shows just how important it is to be aware of the animals.

The DEC plans to put up moose crossing signs in the near future to warn drivers of the danger.

This 1 was Less than 500 yards from where I'm sitting right now.......... :)

ricksrster

Commander

It'll probably be a while until we see them in the southern tier of NY. One did et shot, though a few years ago near Binghamton.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

It'll probably be a while until we see them in the southern tier of NY. One did et shot, though a few years ago near Binghamton.

That me not be so true.These big guys like to go for a walk and sometimes they end up 200 miles from where they started all of this within a week.

ricksrster

Commander

That me not be so true.These big guys like to go for a walk and sometimes they end up 200 miles from where they started all of this within a week.
It would be different. I don't know about habitat for them considering the deer population.
It would add to our collection of animals that used to be rare here.
We have bald eagles fishing in the river in Corning. Bears and coyotes are all over the place. And every once in a while someone will say they saw a puma but nobody's able to prove it.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It would be different. I don't know about habitat for them considering the deer population.
It would add to our collection of animals that used to be rare here.
We have bald eagles fishing in the river in Corning. Bears and coyotes are all over the place. And every once in a while someone will say they saw a puma but nobody's able to prove it.

Same here in southern Ontario. Plenty of species we never saw as a kid. Coyote, Fisher, Mink, Bald Eagles, Turkeys etc. I think they (provincial natural resources) have introduced a lot of them. Occasionally a black bear or moose wanders down the hydro lines or gas pipeline cuts and finds itself against the St. Lawrence River. We've seen coyote swimming across the river but never anything larger than that (unless you count illegals sneaking across the border by boat at night in the dark).

A few yrs ago I was driving to work along the 401 (4 lane hwy from Montreal to Windsor) when I saw a car alongside the road with the front end smashed in and this animal laying in front of it. Said to myself: "That's the ugliest looking horse I ever saw!" and when I got closer and saw the ears it was a moose, female, pregnant too!