Going mobile service advice Q&A

penetrater

Recruit
Hi their , Im starting this topic in hopes of getting some Discussion , advice , and I hope some ideas about mobile service , be it boat motor repair , electronics , upholstery ETC some of the pros and cons .

My name is Markus in Oklahoma city, I am thinking about starting a Mobile Marine Service, using a ? ton cargo van, my thoughts are starting out just trying to provide service on most of the things that need repair or service yearly or every other year.
I.E. water pumps, impellers, lubrication , cooling systems , compression, trailer lights , and bearings, things like that.

My thoughts are that using a mobile service would cut my start up cost and provide a faster service to customers , on the down side you can only do so much from a van.

Some of the things that I already have found out ( on another thread Marine mechanic advice ) are ,you cant get parts at a discounted price working out of your home,
Places like mercury, evinrude, lowrance are not going to make it cheaper on you unless
You have an established shop . This might be solved by leasing a small commercial area.
No bigger than necessary, that would provide an office and maybe small shop area. But for the most part still doing the work on site . And even then some are going to require an initial investment , but I see no difference in this than if you were going to rent / lease a larger facility .

As a customer, most shops are 20 miles away, (average) I have to go hook up the boat, drive to their shop, un-hook, and leave the boat, a bout an hour, then drive back, when ready ( any where from 1 to 3 weeks ) drive back to their shop, PAY, hate that part!
Hook up and drive back and un hook. A minimum of 2 hours out of my day ,that?s 2 hours and part of two days and weeks Of time not on the water ,, even more important .
Where a mobile service could come to me on my time and charge me the same amount and have it done in say 48 hours and I have no time taken off from work, and have no gas or time spent taking it to them.

Im interested in hearing others thoughts and comments , flames etc on this subject.

Thanks in advance

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Going mobile service advice Q&A

Where are you located and how big an area do you plan to serve? Seasonal or year round?

Also what kind of service do you plan on offering?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Going mobile service advice Q&A

i run a mobil lockshop out my 1 ton van. my tow vehical even. i say go for it. i've always operated in the black...........just start slow with another sorce of income. took me 10 years to be self sustainin + payin myself.......