attention johnson/evinrude history buffs!

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just purchased a 1978 Johnson 140. I'm interested in knowing the history of the 140hp engine...what changes were made and when? How were they rated? What are their strengths?? Weaknesses?? What good and bad stories have you guys had with the V4 140? I think it would be really neat to start threads on each engine...this may have already been done. But I really enjoy reading about engines so i thought I'd try to get this started..I know there are alot of folks with LOTS of knowledge and experience with these engines and many more...Lets HEAR about it! Opinions, facts, whatever...lets see where this goes. Isn't this site great?

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: attention johnson/evinrude history buffs!

I have the same motor on my Glastron. I haven't put it in the water yet. I'd be interested in the history/changes made to the 140 also.

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

what do you think about your engine so far?? have you had to anything major to it?? i would really like to hear the history and experiences from people...things that they have learned about these engines over the years...you see so many of them...there has to be alot of history out there with them.

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

It runs good. When I got it I did the usual water pump kit and resealed the gearcase and plugs. I changed the prop shaft because it was bent. I should finally get to run it in the water in the next week or two.