engine height?

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class
79 rude 140 took it out today and bay was running 2 ft waves, 25 mph, worse if faster,bow comes back down prop looses traction, engine revs up,
had it in a smoother section and at wot it was 42 mph at 5300rpm's,still climbing and prop looses traction again, this is with trim all way down,if up its worse, I noticed cavitation plate is 1" above the bottom of boat,is this a problem?all gear and fuel in back!! boat is junk,looking for another boat to put my engine on,but want to use this one untill I find another boat,is there a prop I can purchase to solve this issue? or is the height a problem??if so,would it be better even with the bottom or 1" below the bottom with the problem Im having???

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine height?

What type of prop Al., Stainless, and demensions,condition?What kind and style of boat?It is possible a stainless prop in the same size could help.

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: engine height?

17 ft tri hull, running a S.S. 13 x 19 pitch cupped, boat had a 78 rude 115 on it before this 140 and it never did this... point is same length outboard.but I think the 140 is bringing the back of the boat out of the water more,
not sure what the cure is..once the boat is planed out in choppy water the prop breaks traction.smooth water it will break traction as soon as I hit 42 mph and rev up.