Mercruiser or Volvo Penta?

pk8183

Cadet
I may be opening a can of worms, but....

I am looking at two different 2005 Cobalt 220's, both have between 110 & 140 hrs, one has a Mercuriser 350 Mag and the other has a 280 Hp Volvo Penta.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the two engines or that year of Cobalts in general?

Thanks!

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser or Volvo Penta?

Cobalt is (in my opinion) one of the highest quality boat manufacturers. They are also one of the highest priced when buying new but their attention to detail and design is superb. As far as the engine choices I would usually go for the higher horsepower of the two, do you know what kind of outdrive the boats have? A Bravo 3 or a Volvo DP-S would be ideal. I am pro Mercruiser because that is what I have run in the past and had good luck with but Volvo also makes a fine product. You should consider the availability of local service centers because Volvo mechanics are sometimes harder to find. Above all you should take a look at the engines and see which one was better maintained because that will save you more trouble than brand itself. A compression check, a look at the engine and drive oil, and bellows would be ideal. Good Luck!

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both engines are the GM 350 (5.7 L) with the mag having a little more hp at the top end. I don't think you could go wrong with either. As previously stated, if one has the duo props and the other doesn't, then I would also give higher consideration to the one with the duo props. With everything else being equal, I would give a slight edge to the volvo, but check the volvo shops in your area to be sure you can get service when needed.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

You should consider the availability of local service centers because Volvo mechanics are sometimes harder to find. Above all you should take a look at the engines and see which one was better maintained because that will save you more trouble than brand itself.

This is very true. If you plan on having your boat for a long time... availability of service points is a very important thing to consider.

I also agree to check any maintenance records available and do a visual inspection yourself. Possibly even take it to a certified marine mechanic to have both boats inspected.

Don't buy junk, unless you are planning to restore.

From my experience and being around others, I chose to buy a Mercruiser, though I don;t think poorly of the Volvo's, jus tin my area some people have had complaints about availability of parts and quality of service.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

Both are excellent motors, but I'd have to put my money on the Volvo.

Like previously stated, I would look for the availability of dealers that service either engine in your area, but don't stop there. If the Mercury guy is only 15 minutes away, but he is a pain in the tail, and the Volvo guy is 45 minutes away and an excellent dealer, well you see what I'm saying. The quality of the service people is much more important than the availability or convenience in my opinion.

Mercruisers are harder to work on in my opinion. But, then again, I'm not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to most boat engines.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

in my opinion volvo hands down.. i have a 5.7 sx drive. i have had mercs.