newbie on forums not boating

marla0416

Cadet
I've been reading this forum for a while. Think I asked my questions on old thread. Just closed deal on 1976 chris craft w/ flybridge that has "soft deck". She's a project (needs a lot of work). My husband hates boats (LOL how did I end up w/ him) he's handy at fixing things (oh--now I remember). My thought for fixing deck on flybridge was to remove fiberglass, tear out plywood (I assume balsa?) and rebuild new deck onto bottom glass w/ teak. Hubby doesn't mind working w/ wood. He'll never do glass. My question is: will teak deck be too heavy? Can this be done w/out damaging ceiling in cabin? What do y'all think?

Last edited:

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: newbie on forums not boating

If your husband hates boats, then forget about it.You need to love boats to work on them
IMO, Marc..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I don't agree. Working on something like a teak deck is a lot like working on fine furniture.

You won't find balsa under the glass, Marla. It will probably be marine plywood.

Good luck. :)

marla0416

Cadet

Thanks JB. He installs wood floors for a living. We both have a fine appreciation of wood. Can the deck be taken back w/out destroying the cabin ceiling? I've been researching this for a while. I've never had flybridge before. The boats I've had throughout my adult life have been a reflection of my stage in life. When the kids were little (and they're very grown now) the boat was to pull them on a tube. Now I'm looking at a couple of years down the road having a refurbished chris craft that hubby and I can do some travelling in. For me the project is the process not the end result. I've enjoyed watching some of the restorations shared on this forum. It amazes me the knowledge and creativity people have.

Red Sky is good.:):):)

JB

Never messed with a flybridge, Marla. Can't be any help there. I am strictly a fisherman and the biggest boats I have owned have been 18' Boston Whalers.

marla0416

Cadet

thanks for responding red sky. Boston Whaler's an awsome boat. This is my 1st "big boat". Dream is to fix it up and live on it. I'll keep reading. Maybe somebody has experience (I've never had flybridge either) who can advise. I'm still in planning stage. Lots of time. Good fishin Red Sky.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Marla, teak is pretty expensive today. I'm looking at redoing a few hatches this winter on my boat using this: Flexteak seams easy to work with, clean and last longer also. Hubby'll be happy. Maybe you should holedrill a small core sample and find out what's in there. Either way you'll have to redo the glass on the topside. Without pics it's hard to say. Don't know about your Chris but my old Trojan(sistership) the flybridge was a separate unit mounted to the sedan top, which was also the floor for the flybridge.
Go here boat design net and ask also.
If your FB/cabin ceiling/deck core is moldy and soft, then any excess water had to go below somewhere. How do things look under the cabin and main deck?
Any Pics?

tashasdaddy

if the cabin ceiling is good, you should be able to carefully remove the glass and wood, redeck with marine ply, and reglass. the cover with one of the marine floorings, there are many vinyl products.

marla0416

Cadet

Thanks Nova. I'll look into flexteak. I'm still paying for boat on layaway. I do have pictures I'll try to upload.

Tashasdaddy. Old water stains on ceiling of cabin. Also, water ran down cabin wall. You can see wallpaper lifting off in one small area. Moisture content (by meter) wasn't bad anywhere except flybridge deck and also anchor locker hatch will need to be replaced (high moisture reading and spongy). I'll be interested in what Nova does w/ his hatch replacement using flexteak. Of course, I looked at wallpaper and thought THAT'S GOTTA GO!

This is just the beginning.:eek:

marla0416

Cadet

pictures of chris craft. (I hope):p

These are the 3 major areas of repair (besides the rest of the boat)

marla0416

Cadet

Well pictures did not upload. I tried using attachment???:redface:

marla0416

Cadet

I've resized. Let's see what happens:D

I get invalid file message. Sorry, I'll try again tomorrow.:confused:

Last edited:

180shabah

Rear Admiral

If you can't get the pics to upload, you can host them elsewhere like webshots or photobucket(both free) then just post the link here.

woosterken

Lieutenant

can you take it apart one piece at a time and use the old piece as a pattern?
do like the wife does to me,challenge him, keep telling him he CAN'T do it.

woosterken

marla0416

Cadet

I'm still laughing! I'm learning to manage husbands as well as boat projects. I don't think the pattern is the problem. He knows how to scribe. I just want to make sure I'm not damaging the cabin ceiling (I'm hoping fg under headliner is good). I was concerned about the weight of teak. Now I know there are engineered products. Although I still like natural products better. The pocketbook will be (and his willingness) the deciding factror. I think of a fg deck as a sandwich. My thought is the fb deck is the ceiling of the cabin. There was also a posting about another material to replace headliner with. I can't find the thread. Anyone know what it's called? This site has been very helpful. I'm using the time that I have to PLAN the renovation. Thanks again for all the help (and laughs).

Can't wait to get back on the water...