closed bow project

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer
im converting my open bow fishing boat into a closed bow runabout type boat this is what iv done so far
SUNP0042-1.jpg

my goal is to have somthing that looks simular to this

large_349651189295959.jpg

should i raise the sides up to the height of the bow cover that i am making. i think the raised sides would help in rough water. or should i leave it how it is or should i make the bow cover flush with the aluminum hull i plan on doing some more work to it tommorrow

freddyray21

Commander
Re: closed bow project

my question is why? There are a lot of closed bow boats available out there cheap.

Dovekie

Seaman Apprentice

EZ Rider,
I have similar interest & working towards closed bow (& raised gunnels) on a 16'9" semi-V utility. What make & model is your boat? OAL? operating conditions, power?
My effort involve 0.080 rivet & adhesive Al sheet (gunnel) & 1/4" epoxy laminated bow cap. I have a side console as well with 25 hp remote, operating open ocean for most part, year-round. I suspect this last will raise some comment, but no problems thus far. As an older fisherman tells me 'you can use any size boat, just keep your eyes on the sky" (weather).
Rgds & good luck with your project & boating.

Nandy

Commander

Ironic, I want to do the same opposite thing to my cobia! Yes, do raise it, I will also look more "natural".

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

EZ Rider,
I have similar interest & working towards closed bow (& raised gunnels) on a 16'9" semi-V utility. What make & model is your boat? OAL? operating conditions, power?
My effort involve 0.080 rivet & adhesive Al sheet (gunnel) & 1/4" epoxy laminated bow cap. I have a side console as well with 25 hp remote, operating open ocean for most part, year-round. I suspect this last will raise some comment, but no problems thus far. As an older fisherman tells me 'you can use any size boat, just keep your eyes on the sky" (weather).
Rgds & good luck with your project & boating.

my boat is an 14 ft crestliner nordic open bow boat with an 25hp mariner tiller. i run primarily in the missiouri river near Bismarck nd. but also go to big lakes im converting to closed bow with controls for when i go on the big lakes.

i was thinking about using the same 1x4 on the sides as i used on the bow cover im going to cover everything in fiberglass and sealed between the alum and wood with weatherstripping type material. the raised gunnels arnt so much for structural reasons iv never had a wave even come close to coming over the sides however i have had them come over the transom. however the added protectoin can never hurt. my biggest problem is in rough watter by myself the weight distribution causes alot of problems wich is why im going to this setup

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you can also raise each side of the transom, just leaving clearance for the motor, this cuts down on the amount over the stern.

Dovekie

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for reply EZ Rider. It appear that you've thought it out. Tasha's suggestion that you can raise the counter (transom) to prevent water over stern is wise. i'm including some extra (rigid) foam, placed to compensate for the extra weight & raising the splash well. Big lakes & rivers can be as daunting as the sea.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

i think iv had a little bit of a change in plans im going to kinda copy the hull up part of these plans off "http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=RunaboutsOutboard/pm38" and basically convert them to fit my boat and if it goes good then maby in the future building a wooden boat

Last edited by a moderator: