Honda 45HP thermostat, carb question

nkdave

Recruit
I have a 1994 vintage Honda 45 h.p. and it sounds like it is running fine, no missing, does not bog down. However, it is not producing full power. It does produce full power when I start tweaking with the choke, when I pull the choke out half way it produces full power.

I took it to a Honda dealer and they said they thought it need the 3 carbs to be overhauled. Since I didn't have a choice I said o.k. and also at the same time had them replace the water pump. I had previously replaced the fuel fileters, and used new gas so I knew that was not the problem.

I just got the call that the engine was done. They said they overhauled the carbs and when they ran the engine up they also noticed that the engine was running cool so they checked the thermostat and it was stuck full open, so they replaced that too.

Here is my question. Does any body know if these engines need to be at operating temprature before they can produce full power? I have a new wakeboard boat and it requires the engine to be at operating temp. before it will go to full power, so you are protected from shocking the engine.

My bill was a whopping $1152 for the carbs overhauled, thermostat, and water pump. I am thinking that all I really needed was the thermostat replaced. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Honda 45HP thermostat, carb question

wow sounds expensive
3 hrs for carbs
1 hr water test
.5 t-stat