Cleaning out aluminum boat

I finally decided to try and make my old 14 foot crestliner ship shape again. Its been neglected for years and had about 6 inches of old rotton leaves in it. I cleaned them out and several dark spots are cleaning up well using a sand blaster. My questions is .after I blast it clean what should I paint it with to not only cover the metal but seal it real good? thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cleaning out aluminum boat

zinc chromate primer, the finish coat. i would have pressure washed.

Thanks, I will get the primer you reccommend. I dont have a pressure washer so I figured a light sand blasting and then a good soap and water washing will leave it ready for the primer. I will post a few pictures as progress continues thanks again.

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to rebuild old land rovers, which are aluminum ; sand blasting aluminum makes for a pretty rough surface. You probably need only clean the boat, prime and paint it. Napa sells a good etching primer in rattle cans or gun sprayable.

turfman

Yes I agree,but Im just using the sand blaster on the inside and there the paint being a little ruff is ok . The out side will be sanded real good before the primer.