Carolina Skiff?

Campo

Recruit
Howdy All!:)
I am kinda new to the boards here, but have been lurking for a bit.

I am moving to Maryland next year, near Baltimore. I have been fishing along the Maryland and Delaware coasts for several years, but have never has the opprotunity to own a boat.
I now intend to change that! :D

I plan on fishing inlets, bays, and maybe the occassional excursion offshore (less than a mile). A friend recommended that I check out Carolina Skiffs...I looked at them and they seemed pretty nifty. I like the specs and the price seems decent...

Does anyone have any experience with these boats?

1730V

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carolina Skiff?

They're great boats. The J Series has a flat hull so they ride kind of rough. They are very utilitarian and you have some say so in how the interior is laid out.

I would also look at used Boston Whalers. Especially the Montauk.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

We rented them down in So. Lousiana to fish the marshes there. Real nice for the application as they plane out real fast and draw little water.....plenty of room and a stable platform.

If you want to go off shore, get another type hull, or bring a large, soft, cushion and a rain coat.

My 2c,

Mark

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

That design is not listed as a bay boat, but it comes very near to being one. Which would be Ok for mild days. Very easy to tow as well. However for sloppy days I would want a design that leans more toward offshore use. Here is an example (same size boat) -

http://www.seahuntboats.com/T186-gal6.html

Note that the bow shape is deeper, does not dip down, and has a bit of flair. Small things, but they will make the boat easier to live with in the slop. Sea Hunt is not the only builder with this style boat by any means, just showing it to you as an example of what to look for.

Kelly Cook

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

We rented the DLX type. The DLV looks like it would ride smoother in a chop, but I don't know about it's ability to plane out fast and run shallow.

Mark