8HP Honda Outboard Fuel Problem

karlmiller

Recruit
Hi All,

I currently own an approx. 2001 Honda 8HP Four-Stroke Outboard (one of the ones with the face-lift covers). Its run perfectly fine since I acquired it a few years ago. However, recently I came to start it and it appears to be having problems running/starting. It is currently taking 6 or 7 times to start, which is unusual since it would usually start on the 1st or 2nd normally. Following this, the motor fires up, runs for around 3 seconds, then cuts out. The noise as it cuts out sounds as if it isn't getting enough fuel, however, the fuel is definatly getting to the carb OK. I have drained the carb, then cleaned the fuel tank and refilled it to ensure I'm using clean fuel. However, the problem still persists. It appears to be some sort of fuel supply problem, possibly the fuel pump (as the engine seems to be struggling to get its own fuel), though after attempting to start, there still seems to be plently of fuel in the carb, however, it must be getting *some* fuel as it starts up!! I assume these things have a mechanical fuel pump somewhere on them.

I've had a quick poke around, but these newer outboards seem so compacted and also there seems lots of little bits 'n' bobs which I can see ending up in the water!! :rolleyes:

Has anyone had a similar experience to this with one of these engines, or can anyone offer advice on what may be causing this problem?

Many Thanks In Advance.

Karl. :)

biggerthomas

Cadet
Re: 8HP Honda Outboard Fuel Problem

Karl, I've had similar problems with my 8 but they just started this year. I think it has something to do with the Ethanol. I added regular fuel stablizer and also something called StarTron enzymatic fuel treatment and it works like a charm now, starts usually on the 2nd pull. I've also started running the engine out of gas so gas doesn't sit there in the carb all week while i'm away. Good luck.

gss036

Commander

Honda carb rebuild kits are nothing more than a set of gaskets. If you want the needle valve, you have to buy that seperate. Most of the time gas problems w/Honds are caused by the tiny orfices they have. I am also having off and on idle/run problems w/my 15 hp. Like always, it is a learning experience. Mine will lug down to a chug-chug-chug for a few seconds then run good for the rest of the day.
If there is any black soot build up on the exhaust at the top of the leg, it is caused by having the carb too rich.
If you are running on the small tank, mix SeaFoam w/ the gas. It is a multiple use product and works great. A lot of people use it regularly.

Frank Martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the newer carbs have a long emushion tube / jet that runs up through the center of carb suplys the slow and intermediate circuit fuel, when these get varnished up about all you can do is replace them keep the fuel from sitting in the carb and this can not happen

lexi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you suspect a carb problem then have it ultrasonically cleaned. It`s only an hours labour. They put it in a sealed container and then bombard it with 1970s punk rock. This shakes all the debris loose:D

Alex