Atwater 7.5hp

LXIX

Cadet
Hey all,

I just recently aquired a 1949 Scott Atwater 7.5hp outboard. Model #493.

The man I bought it from said it did run, however the impeller needed to be replaced. I have a source for the impeller for $40.00. The engine turns when the starter cord is pulled. My question is, is this a decent motor worth putting the effort into or am I better off parting it out on ebay?

After working on my old clinton I have gotten the bug for these old motors but do not want to kill myself making it run.

Secondly, does anyone have a owner's manual/service manual?

Thanks,

Brian

LXIX

Cadet
Re: Atwater 7.5hp

Ok, waiting was killing me. I did get it started. Boy was I surprised, this thing makes more of a growling sound instead of a whining sound that my Clinton does. I'm betting this is because it is a 2 cylinder and the Clinton is a single cylinder is that correct?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No insult intended, but I'd rather have a worn out Scott-Atwater than a new Clinton. Just my opinion of course. In fact, I do have a 1947 Scott, but no Clintons. Please don't part out any running vintage motor. When they are gone, they are gone forever.

Have you considered joining the Antique Outboard Motor Club? www.aomci.org

LXIX

Cadet

I am planning on joining they seem to have some great resources. Is there anything I need to be aware of when pulling the lower unit off this thing? And do I need to pull the lower unit to get to the impeller?

Thanks,

Brian

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Does that model have a gearshift? If it does, you have to remove the cap off the gearcase to access the shift rod disconnect, which is a round "nut" on the end of the rod.

Shift or not, you still have to remove the cap to access one of the two nuts holding the lower unit on.

LXIX

Cadet

Yes this model has a gear shift, and both forward and reverse gears.

Thanks

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Scott's are stout motors. Can't remember what type impeller yours has. If it runs, it's definitely worth fixing/using/keeping. This outfit has a factory service manual for Scott-Atwaters: (http://www.acmeoutboards.com)
Sorry if links aren't allowed...guy needs help

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Laid awake thinking about this last night. My failing memory says that those motors have a conventional (nowadays) water pump impeller. The non-shift units, like mine, have a "wobbler" pump.

Saying all this to take it a step further. It may have a stainless steel liner in the water pump. Sometimes they would corrode between the stainless and the aluminum gearcase and bulge the liner inwards, destroying the impeller. So take a good look at the stainless liner before you put a new impeller in it. It should have a perfectly flat bottom and no bulges in the side-walls. I don't know, but the liner may be a bugger to find these days.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

I have a '48 7.5 that has taken me up and down the river from Catoosa to New Orleans a couple of times and countless hours exploring lakes and rivers.

Scotts are stout motors. As said, please don't part it out.

Yours should have the wobbler pump. I thought I had to replace mine in '77 but it turned out only to be the backing plate. At that time McCullough sent me the last "impeller" that they had, but they did not have any plates. I made one out of a piece of stainless steel sheet robbed from a towel dispensor. I cut the shape out with a coping saw, used a hole saw for the hole and a pair of vice grips, a couple of pieces of flat stock and a table to form the tab. I still have the new wobbler,but I don't think I will ever need it, as I have put many, many hours on it since with no trouble.

If a replacement wobbler can't be found in your price range, it could easily be made out of a piece of micarta as the running tolerences are quite loose. Once again the tools to do so could be as simple as a coping saw, drill and a file.

I would find $40 a bargian considering how stout and fun the old Scott is.