Prop shaft removal

60hpomc

Cadet
Changing the propshaft on a 1983 60 hp 2cyl evinrude.
I have the carrier out.
My question is can the prop shaft be removed without dropping the lower unit?
There are two large snap rings inside which I need to get a good pair of snap ring pliers to remove.
Anything else I should while I have it apart besides the seals?
Thanks,
Chris

red boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Prop shaft removal

Need to get a manual if your tearin into the lower. Dont need to pull the lower to remove pinion nut but why wouldnt you? Only adds 15 min each way to the job then you can work on it on the bench. Need a good set of snap ring pliers. If those suckers slip out of the pliers they will cut you up bad. I have found a boat shop usually will pull the snap rings for a couple of cold ones! When was the last time you put a Water Pump in? Another good reason to pull the lower.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Um, don't you have to remove the shift rod before the prop shaft and related stuff will pull out of the case? That is after you have already removed the drive shaft and pinion to get it out of the way?

It would be folly to do all that work and not replace all the seals.

60hpomc

Cadet

I put a new impeller including cup this spring. I bent the prop shaft on a rock. I was told by a marine mechanic that on some cases the prop shaft will just pull out of the case after you remove the reverse gear and sometimes there is more to it. does anyone know how mine may work? It has like a plunger shaped thing that is attached to the dog clutch should that pull out of the shifter mechanism?
THANKS,
CHRIS

60hpomc

Cadet

I have a manual but it does not go through individual jobs just a complete tear down of the lower unit. That was why I was wondering if anyone knew?