Aluminum boat corrosion

the mick

Recruit
I'm looking at a 1998 Tracker boat that looks great except for a 16" x 16" white looking blotch on the side. It's a repo so I cannot contact seller and bank knows less than I about what caused it or how it affects boat as far as future rusting may occur. Is there a cure? just cosmetic? Help!?!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Aluminum boat corrosion

Welcome to iboats.
Maybe better answered in the Boat Restoration and Building forum.

floorguru

Recruit

:DBest guess is if it's aluminum, rust will be the least of your worries. Just a thought.

reelfishin

Captain

If it's only a cosmetic spot at this point, I would simply clean and seal the aluminum. Aluminum isn't like steel, it doesn't rust but can react to corrosives. Usually once the corrosive element is removed, the problem won't progress. Chances are it's salt corrosion or the result of the original anodization being removed. I would clean it and neutralize any corrosives left behind and most likely consider painting it with something to prevent further damage.
Price would determine whether or not I'd want to fool with it or not. If it's not badly pitted with perforation of the hull, its probably more cosmetic at this point than anything else.

Someone may have also tried to remove lettering or decals with the wrong stuff as well, using certain automotive wheel cleaners will turn aluminum white as well.

tjl76evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

when i used to detail cars we had a product called aluminum brightener it think it was. either way its a misleading name since it will burn the heck out of any unsealed aluminum which is most rims/aluminum. it results in a whitish film. normally you can take a simply wadding polish like neverdull and bring it back to a good shine pretty quickly. you could bring some with you and test the spot and see if thats all it is.

either way it doesent sound terrible so if the boats a good price..