Shop Battery Charger

DHPMARINE

Captain
Our shop battery charger took a swan dive yesterday and needs replacement. Both Snap On and Mac have nice ones,but pricey at over $500.

Does anyone have any knowlege of RN Battery Chargers? They have a model #2757 for only $260 that features 550 Amp boost,one of the features we want.Trouble is I've never heard of them before,so I'm a bit sceptical.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

DHP

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: Shop Battery Charger

Are they made overseas (China)? How long have they been around...or are they just getting into the market.
Being made overseas is not necessarily a bad thing but it can be if the product is 'young' and not established from a design/manufacturing standpoint. Basically you might be being the market prototype.
Anywhooo, a bit of food for thought (although that Snap-on stuff is always nice!!)
Good luck.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never dealt with the rnchargers but i know one of our tool men handle them he will be in tomorrow i can ask him how they seem to be

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

the most popular item to take a crap in the chargers are the rectifier, the second is a corroded connection in one of the clamps,next is the timer..
I have replaced the diodes in the rectifier with diodes from an alternator from a greyhound bus. if you have a little electronic expertize you can test and repair the rectifier.. its not bad.. also test the power cord and circuit breker..

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are they made overseas (China)? How long have they been around...or are they just getting into the market.
Being made overseas is not necessarily a bad thing but it can be if the product is 'young' and not established from a design/manufacturing standpoint. Basically you might be being the market prototype.
Anywhooo, a bit of food for thought (although that Snap-on stuff is always nice!!)
Good luck.
yes,you missed the girl wearing the t-back backwards..

DHPMARINE

Captain

Thanks for the replies.Mrfiximan40,I await your reply.

Don't really know what is wrong wih the charger.The volt selection switch came apart,and I had two options to putting it back togeather.Assemble it plan A or use plan B which was assembling the back of the switch 180 degrees opposite.

Plan A,the transformer smoked a little,plan B it smoked a lot.My guess is something else is also damaged.

It's 20 odd years old so I don't really want to repair it.And I have to admit a new Snap On unit pro-rated over 20 years is feasible.But if ******* backed into the new one next week ......... that's a lot of money.

That's why I am seeking your advice.I'm figuring if the top brands are $550,other sources should be $350 to $400,and maybe the $260 RN charger is a real deal.

DHP

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Check with your local NAPA store. I have one of theirs that I've had for years.:)

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a napa charger that is made by schumacker(who makes most of them) and it has worked great for almost 10 years

DHPMARINE

Captain

Thanks jmir.I did look a Schumaker (not sure I spelled it right).

But I was surprised.I didn't see a boost charger over 200 amps.

Maybe I have to look deeper.

DHP

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I just talked to the tool guy here . he says if the are used in a smaller shop and not always just used to boost they last ok but if you use the boost alot not to expect a long life out of it .

DHPMARINE

Captain

Thanks,Mrfixitman40.

Sounds like I need something heavier.I did find that Schumacher makes a 300 amp boost model,and I've seen it @$249 plus shipping.May go that route.

DHP

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

anytime DHP he did say they were great for just trickle charging and moderate charging but they get to hot and will burn up if using for boosting .
I have had shumachers at home for years but they are not continuously used mostly just trickle charging the boat and tractor batteries.