Suzuki Lower Unit (Help)

Kevin.clark

Cadet
I own a 1986 DT85 Suzuki. I have bent the prop shaft, and I have found a 1985 DT85 Suzuki with a blown power head for sale. Can I steal the lower unit off of the 1985 and put it on the 1986? Is there anyway to tell is the two will go together without actually doing it? I spoke with someone at BrownsPoint and he said the bolt patterns would PROBABLY match, but is did not know if the splines would match up. Is there anyway to tell how many splines there are without removing the lower unit? Is there something in the part #'s.

PLEASE HELP

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki Lower Unit (Help)

Go to Brown's Point web site and download the parts PDF files for the 2 different years and compare the part numbers. You should be able to find out yourself whether or not they will fit. Compare the part numbers for the drive shaft, if the same, then it should work.

Kevin.clark

Cadet

I did compare the two drive shaft numbers. They where slightly different. The last digit in the # was 7 for one year and 8 for the other year. The pdf has a picute of the drive shaft and they look exactly the same. In the picture they have the same # of splines, but if do not know how accurate the drawings are in the parts guide.

Thanks for the response.

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well the 83-85 outbnoards had some differences compared to the 86-87 outboards. What they are could be only in a few areas. But it sure looks like the lower units could interchange. If I have time tomorrow I'll contact a couple of local Suzuki service owners for which have help me decide over the past changing parts from one year motor to another. They've been a Suzuki service/owner for over 20 years and for me have always been correct

Kevin.clark

Cadet

That would be a great help. If you don't have the time and you don't mind giving out there contact info. I would be happy to give them a call. Thanks for the help.

Kevin

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1985 DT85
Ok. As per Suzuki, from 1983 to 2000 all DT75 and DT85 lower units are interchangable with one another. So you would be good to go with the 86.
Also in the conversation I had with him the electrical controls are interchangeable from 83-86.

Kevin.clark

Cadet

Thanks for the time and the information. I have searched for hours on end trying to find what years are interchangable. I bought the used motor and hopefully I can get it together this weekend. Thanks again for the help.

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the the outboard is a fresh water-use unit removing the bolts should be easier than a saltwater unit. But, the bolts are weak ss bolts and can breakoff easily. If you intend to remove the water pump housing them bolts can break off easy too. Marine shops have some unite procedures to remove seized bolts. Take your time.
Good luck

Kevin.clark

Cadet

Again thanks for all of the help. Both lower units came off fine. The only tricy part was re-attaching the shifing rod to the linkage. When I slide the lower unit back in I knocked it into gear and did not realize until it was bolted on. So it was a little tricky getting to the rod under the carbs. But everything is together and I took it out yesterday. The boat ran good, but it did not like to idle. It has been sitting up for a while, I am hoping a couple tanks of gas through the carbs will help the idling issue.

Thanks

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad it all went well. The the motor you bought should give you some extra parts. The carbs, electrical, trim and other parts can come in handy.
If you suspect gas contamination I would check the fuel filter first. If it was ok I would drop the bowl on the carbs and have a look see. Heck pull the carbs off the other motor and see how they look inside.