oil cap & carb tube

omcfool

Recruit
Hello guys,

I'm trying to restore an old ski boat with a 1985 3.0L OMC i/o engine.

While fooling around with the engine, I broke the engine-oil cap. I could not find a place to buy it. I'm wondering if an old oil cap from a car would work. If that doesn't work, could I carve a piece of rubber to plug it?

I also lost the small elbow and tube that is attached to carb cover, and the engine head. The engine seems to run fine without it, so I don't know if I should hunt down a replacement. Does anyone know what that elbow and tube do?

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: oil cap & carb tube

The auto version of the oil fill cap should work. I do not know what the tube and elbow do, from your description. There should be a tube from the fuel pump to the carb. That is designed to catch and burn any leakage in the fuel pump. It is very important that the line be intact and clear.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I think he is talking about the breather. The engine will run fine without it, but your engine compartment will turn into a nasty mess. There is nothing MARINE about the components, just a rubber grommet, a plastic elbow and a tube up to the flame arrestor.

omcfool

Recruit

I think he is talking about the breather. The engine will run fine without it, but your engine compartment will turn into a nasty mess. There is nothing MARINE about the components, just a rubber grommet, a plastic elbow and a tube up to the flame arrestor.

180shabah was right on. I used the word "breather" and found that the tube is used to vent "oil vapor" from the head/crankcase. This vapor would be fed to the carb, to be burn off by the engine.

Thanks guys

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

On my Mercruiser, the breathers were routed under the carb intake cowling so that the vapors would be drawn into the carb. They were not actually attached to the carb.