1984 50hp merc new owner little problems

SJS57

Recruit
need spark plug gap for 084 merc and does the primer bulb have to be hard when motor is running this one is never hard i am a new used boat owner,also when idle for about 5 min it stalls then hard starts ,then in gear doesnt move untill stall and i have to rev it in netural can the problem be the fuel bulb

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1984 50hp merc new owner little problems

Welcome to iboats.
Mercury/Mariner repair forum

Alby1

Cadet

I have a little experience with the 84 50hp. I suggest using the NKG BUHW spark plug, it is a fixed gap plug. The primer bulb isn't hard when mine is running. But, if you think it is the bulb causing your problem, just squeeze it gentle when the motor is running to keep the fuel coming to the carbs.

With out having more detail about the motor and things you have checked, it will be hard to answer your question. Based on what you said and a little assuming, I'd say that the motor is not hitting on all cylinders. That could be your plugs or plug wire, one of your carbs, a faulty switch box or coil pack, if equipped. It could be that your motor is getting hot, is there water coming from the tattle tail?

If you could, provide more information. I'll try to help.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

You may want to rebuild the carb. probably has dirt in it and buy a repair manual it pays for itself 1000 times over.