50 ELPT 4-Stroke Mercury opinions needed

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi folks,
I'm considering purchasing boat with 1999 50 ELPT 4-Stroke Mercury
Owner claims that there is 65hrs on the outboard ( looks great)
Is this good outboard ?
I would prefer Honda or Suzuki but the boat is very nice

Thanks

BillP

Captain
Re: 50 ELPT 4-Stroke Mercury opinions needed

It should be an ok motor if you don't mind oil changes and valve adjusting. I have a 1996 50hp 4S Mariner/Merc (actually a relabled Yamaha to Mariner/Merc) bought new. It's a carbed version with the standard ratio lower unit. Nothing spectacular or bad with it. The plastic body fuel pump is easy to hit and break if you aren't careful putting the cover on. I learned that the first week. The water pump impeller is very tiny (size of a 3hp Johnson impeller...no joke) and tolerates only sub micron wear before needing a change...learned that the first yr.

The early Merc 50 4s had a known problem with corrosion/electrolysis where the waterpump tube plugs into the powerhead...it swelled up and blocked water. It didn't happen to mine and I don't know if 1998s were included. It was the wrong seal material or something and happened the first yr or so. Merc fixed the ones that people squeaked (commercial rental fleets) about and others (us common folk) payed the $600 repair bill to fix because it was just barely out of warranty. Typical Merc fashion...just like the famous stator problems that happened in earlier yrs. Deny the problem to the world and repair privately to only the few who complained with reverence. Would I buy another? Not a 4 stroke again, especially a Merc. This is my mellow version btw.

bp

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for taking the time to respond !
I guess I'll pass on it :(

BillP

Captain

I didn't mean to imply it is a bad motor...mine is older, has lots of hrs and has been reliable. It has too many plastic parts for my liking but they haven't given a problem except on the fuel pump housing I posted about. It did strand me once the first yr but I found it to be a loose harness connector under the hood. All I did was spread the hollow male pins to make them fit tight...problem gone. I'm just not a fan of Merc Marine Inc, their engineering or 4 strokes anymore.