1972 65 HP evinrude carburetor problem???

clint1430

Recruit
Hi, all. Just bought a 15' Thundercraft this past weekend with a 1972 65HP Evinrude. Took it out on the lake and it started fine when choked. Let it warm up and it ran fine with choke off. Started fine w/o choke the rest of the day. However, when in gear, it acted like it was bogged down at half to full throttle. Every once in a while, it would clear up and run very well. Then, it would start bogging down again. Finally, by the end of the day, it would only run when choked and still no real power. Also, when in reverse, it will only idle backwards. When you give it throttle, the button pops up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm totally new to the boating world. Thanks,
Clint

iwombat

Captain
Re: 1972 65 HP evinrude carburetor problem???

Sounds like you cleaned out all the varnish in your fuel system and it went straight into clogging up your jets. I think it's time to clean and rebuild your carbs.

Also, if you don't know the history of this motor it's time to put in a new water pump.

Edit: Were you using the old gas left from the previous owner by any chance. Does this system have a water separator? Could just be a case of water in the fuel.

clint1430

Recruit

thanks for the input. it has a new water pump and i cleaned out the gas tanks before i took it out. i thought it was probably just junk in the carbs. it seemed really strong when it did run correctly.

iwombat

Captain

Well the I stand by my first statement. You probably broke up all the varnish in the fuel pump and float bowls and dumped it straight into the jets. Not at all uncommon. The deteriorating performance over the course of the day is a good indicator.

To be on the safe side, check compression. Head gaskets can dry out and blow if it's been sitting a long time.