Red Eye vs Bearin Buddy

waynerh

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have experience with the Kodiak Red Eye bearing protectors and how do they compare to the Bearing Buddys?

Thanks for your expertise!!
Wayne

piggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Red Eye vs Bearin Buddy

Red eye hub do not fit in hub. They are not machined to size. I have had two sets both the same. Have used a lot buddy,s no probem. Sorry his advise is about four month late . Maybe it will help someone

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Maybe looking at the "join date" ???

toluca

Recruit

Red eye bearing protectors are great, I've used them for 5 years. First you must get the correct size. Properly gease axil and then don't worry any more. They will show a bad inner seal by throwing grease and need to be refilled each trip.

I've used buddy bearings but preferr Red Eye.

LoweRider

Seaman Apprentice

Red eye bearing protectors are great, I've used them for 5 years. First you must get the correct size. Properly gease axil and then don't worry any more. They will show a bad inner seal by throwing grease and need to be refilled each trip.

I've used buddy bearings but preferr Red Eye.

I just purchased Red Eye Bearing Protectors and was wondering , why do you prefer these to bearing buddies , how can you tell when they are full and when they need to be refilled?? Thanks ;)

htv

Seaman

I just purchased Red Eye Bearing Protectors and was wondering , why do you prefer these to bearing buddies , how can you tell when they are full and when they need to be refilled?? Thanks ;)
Pump the red eye till you see the full mark (orange o-ring). When grease recedes the orange mark disappears and the red eye recedes back in the assembly. Biggest advantage is less grease slinging and no bearing buddy bras.:cool:

LoweRider

Seaman Apprentice

htv,
Thank you for your quick reply and the information , I appreciate it !!!

LoweRider

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought red eyes . I went to install them today only to find that they are the same size as my hubs. I bought the ones to fit 1.980 hubs. Does anyone know what size I need? (I can put my hub caps into the red eyes as if they were the hub) Thanks in advance for any help!

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

i was given a set of red eyes by my father in law, who is a pro bass fisherman, and has been around boats all his life. then again, he may have been given them by a sponsor. he's out of town right now, so i can't reach him to confirm. i'm going to use them anyway though.

-peter