Question on flushing Alpha One?

garyoNC

Seaman Apprentice
New to the I/O stuff. I have a first gen Alpha One(1988) that uses lake water for the cooling system. I can't seem to find any instructions for flushing. What I really need to do is start the engine and see if it runs okay before I put it in the water. I have the dual rectangular flushing muffs from Moeller, I'm just not sure how to proceed. How long can I run the engine setup like this? What RPM should I stay under? Will I damage anything?

Thanks,
Gary

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question on flushing Alpha One?

You do not need to flush at all if you are running in a freshwater lake.....
Put the muffs over the intakes on the drive, turn on the water (you do not need full pressure) till water starts squirting from under the muffs & start the engine.....
1500 rpm's & below is a good number.....
You can run it forever like that.....
You will not do any damage......
Just make sure the muffs are on securely.....;)

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And be sure it's trimmed all the way down before you start it - run it in the "trailer" position & you could damage the u-joints.

garyoNC

Seaman Apprentice

stevieray,

Yes, I was in the lowered position. Well the engine ran great! I am very happy. I think some kind of safety switch may need adjustment as I had to play with the gear shift lever to get the engine to crank over. All gauges appeared to work correctly, the engine temp got up to about 185 degrees and stopped. I ran the engine for about 25 minutes. Anybody know where the adjustment is for the gear shift lever?

Thanks everybody for your help! Hope to get the trailer title fixed next week so we can go boating.
Gary

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gary, The switch that allows the motor to crank only when in neutral is in the control box with the throttle lever. The question is, when the outdrive is in neutral, is the control box in neutral? Id so, you likely have a bad switch in the control box. if not, you may be able to adjust the shift cable at the motor to put the control box into neutral.