3.0 Enough for a 19' Boat?

reoterq

Recruit
I'm looking at a 19' Maxum (1997) w/ 3.0L. Is this enough engine for a 19' boat? How does it perform w/ a single skiier w/ skis vs slalom? Single skiier vs double? What will it not be able to do that a 4.3 could? Thanks.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3.0 Enough for a 19' Boat?

I would say that it is underpowered for your purpose. A 3.0 in a 17 footer is fine and will pull out an experienced slalom skier. An inexperienced or large slalom skier will drag for a long time. The 19 footer will just simply be worse. My top speed for my 17 footer was around 42ish MPH, I doubt the 19 will reach 40.

Almost any power boat will get a doubles skier up . . . ;)

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the 3.0 is not enough for what you want to do. My friend had an older 17 footer with the 3.0 and it was only good for wakeboarding (30 MPH tops). He sold it and got a 19 Rinker with a 5.0 V8. It's a sweet ride with plenty of power. I would recommend 4.3L as a minimum.

Willyclay

Captain

My son has a 19ft Ebbtide with a 4.3XL(205hp) and it struggles to pull me up on a slalom with three people in the boat. I weigh 215lbs and am an experienced skiier. I don't think you would be happy with the 19ft/3.0 combo.

reoterq

Recruit

Judging from the replies and the number of views, I'm guessing that everyone has the same opinion. I'm kind of disappointed, since this was a good looking boat w/ wakeboard tower at an excellent price. Thanks to those who put in your two cents.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is always a way to find out if it fits your needs. Water test it. If the seller refuses, walk away. It has a tower so the seller should understand the need for the test.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What pitch prop do they have on it? With the right pitch prop, if the boat is a light 19 ft, it could actually pull up a slalom skier OK -- but this would be a low pitch prop and you would be loosing a lot of top end cruising speed. They have a tower on it, perhaps they have a high five or some other prop to compensate for the lower HP? Either way, it would pull a tube, wakeboards, double skis, and kneeboards just fine, so what you are most worried about is getting slalom skiers out of the water. Then again, I learned to slalom as a kid behind a john boat with a 35 hp.

Nada values shows their 1997 19 footers coming in a 2215 lbs. So, this is a pretty light boat. However, they show the standard motor as being 190 hp (4.3), which should lower what you pay for it.

If I were you, I would not rule it out. I would drive it, or even ski behind it, and see how its set up. Pay attention to how quickly it gets on plane. Bring a heavy buddy along for the test ride. See how it does under weight. If its OK, then low ball them, because of the smaller motor, and the end of the season (needs to be winterized, tuned up, etc).

If $5000 gets you a well maintained boat that looks sweet with a tower, then you are on the water next year. If y'all love water sports, you will be looking to upgrade in a couple of years anyway.

Either way, read a little about props before you go test drive it.

Best of luck to you!

tommays

Admiral

Having owned the same boat (2000SC)1995 19' Maxum with 3.0 power for 12 years ;)

It is NOT the right motor for sking it is fine for tubeing

To ski tou need to use a 17" prop which will pop it right out of the water BUT you will hit the 4800 rpm WOT at about 32 MPH :eek: VS the 41 MPH it can do with the normal 19" to 21" prop

Tommays

tonemann

Recruit

I am in the same situation. I am driving 3 hours this saturday to look at a 19' Sea Ray (1999). It also has a 3.0 in it as well a wakeboard tower. I can ski just fine, but have never gotten up on a slolam. I weigh 230lbs. Is it easy to get up on a wake board? Am I wasting my money if I don't care to slalom? Would like to try wakeboarding. Wouldn't the height of the tower assist in getting out of the water easier?

This truly is a nice looking boat...worst case scenario...in a couple of years, could I install a 4.3 liter in the boat or would I have to replace the upper and lower unit as well. More advice please!......especially the props. I know this one has a four blade prop on it (probably doesn't mean anything though).

-Toneman

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my experience, 4.3 minimum if you want it for water sports, better 5.0. i have a 5.7 in my 23 footer.

tonemann

Recruit

Here is the pic.....

Attachments

• 100_1128_3.jpg
    100_1128_3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 0

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I had a SeaRay 17 footer for ten years and it had a 3.0 in it. I can distinctly remember the disappointment that first day pushing the throttle to the stops and getting a "lousy" 40 mph. Most of my neighbours had 4.3 and up and were getting closer to 50.

That said, I grew to appreciate the fuel economy and my cruise speed of 25 to 30 was just fine most of the time.

It won't be enough power for serious skiers but I did get friends up slalom with a 19 prop. Those that had the strength to hang on for a looooong time, anyway. :)

For tubing and/cruising with four people it was fine. Six was a struggle to plane but it would get there eventually and once up would motor along acceptably. I also had the captains chairs versus the back-to-back setup. That meant rear seat passengers were right back by the engine which further aggravated the planing problem with all hands aboard.

Best advice is always, always take a sea trial.