Alpha I Making Intersting Sounds

msd58

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this sounds strange but bear with me. When I ran my Mecruiser Alpha I yesterday I noticed that exhaust sound seemed to have changed tone. More of growly of sound. I know that sounds weird but my wife noticed it too. I first noticed it when we were going through the no wake zone. I ran the boat for about an hour up on plane . It seamed to change tone depending on how I trimmed the boat or outdrive. The best way to describe it was it seemed louder. I open engine hatch and all sounded fine under way. All sounds associated with this seemed to be outside the boat. It even seemed to sound different in slip. All vital signs were normal: engine temp 165*, oil pressure normal, drive lube, no leaks and engine oil levels normal. Performance all normal. Bay water temps around 72-74* Its a 1995 5.0 liter Mercruiser.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha I Making Intersting Sounds

The exhaust bellows probably came loose, or is torn.
Pull the boat out of the water, raise the drive, and look at the bellows.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

As Don suggests, it's probably the exhaust bellow that has split or become disconnected. You are not doing any harm to the motor if that is the cause..

Gary

msd58

Petty Officer 1st Class

As Don suggests, it's probably the exhaust bellow that has split or become disconnected. You are not doing any harm to the motor if that is the cause..

Gary

If bellows is ripped and has to be replaced does drive need to come off to do that? All bellows were replaced In Nov 2001 6 years ago

180shabah

Rear Admiral

If the other bellows are still on good condition, replace the exhaust bellows with the exhaust tube. It only cost $10 more($30 + shipping) and can be easily installed without removing the drive.

If the other bellow are not in good condition, replace them all.

Last edited:

msd58

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great replies from everyone Thanks! Does anyone know where I can find a schematic to look at before I begin work?

msd58

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to anchor boat in shallow water and feel around and the exhaust bellows has pull off from the lower unit. I was not able to re-attach becasue it looks like the hose clamp failed. I did not have an extra one handy. I will pull boat out soon for the season and get it repaired then.

Thanks for all the replies.