Johnson 88 spl hates morning start and idle

Jeffs62

Cadet
I have a 95-96 or so Johnson 88 spl. when i first get out on the water the initial start up is a slow process. the engine will chug and die a a few times then after a few more cycles of cranking it will chug a little longer and after a few more key cycles it will finally start sounding like it wants to run but sounds like its only running on half the cylinders.. and after a few seconds to a minute of that it sounds like everything finally kicks in and revs right up..thats the first problem..the second is after the whole warming up process it starts up fine but it doesnt like to idle and when you shift it into gear i likes to die out. if i rev up the rpms and get it close to idle speed and throw it into gear and give it gas it runs fine but idle speeds is hard to get.. i change my plugs atleast twice a year ( yeah im a freak like that ) adjusted the idle...still no luck...I have a new baby and cant afford to take it in but its killing my striper season...i cant troll.. please help!!!! Thanks

1730V

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 88 spl hates morning start and idle

Try this starting procedure.

1. Pump up fuel line primer bulb until hard.

2. Turn key to ON-NOT START.

3. PUSH key in and count to eight.

4. Release key.

5. Turn key to start.

6. Bump key in to keep engine running.

Revving the engine does no good other to promote wear. The warm up lever should be used only to about half.

This engine does not have a choke, it has a fuel primer. Make sure the primer solenoid (valve on top of carb air box) lever is folded back parallel to the solenoid body.

Jeffs62

Cadet

thanks for the quick reply. i will check it out right now and repost the results

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Your idle issue is probably clogged carburetors. They have to be taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt.

Jeffs62

Cadet

that was awsome! she has never started like that for me...aa for the idle when i lower the warm up lever she still dies out after trying to keep running

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

that was awsome! she has never started like that for me...aa for the idle when i lower the warm up lever she still dies out after trying to keep running

I had the same luck when I followed that "formula" for starting - it made a huge difference.

RE: the idle. What is your idle when the lever down. It could just be a matter of bumping up your idle a hundred or two. If you have adjusted the idle while on the muffs, it will likely not work well in the water because of back pressure. You need a pretty fast idle on the muffs to get a "normal" functional idle in the water.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Jeffs62,

The 88 is a bit cold blooded but "bumping" the key usually keeps them lit.

If it won't idle warm, you have other issues. Have you ever decarbed it? If not, go to the iboats home page for forums and look for "decarb" in the frequently asked questions (FAQ's)

Nevermind, I found the link. See below.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076

Jeffs62

Cadet

ill have to double check the idle speed but i do usually use the muffs when i tune on it..nothing worse than losing tools in the drink...you guys have been awsome thanks for all the help and i will take her to the lake tomorrow afternoon and set the idle, decarb and give you guys an update

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Jeffs62,

Be careful "tuning on it". You can really mess up the sychonization of timing and carburetor opening which can be devestating. You really need a manual.

When I come across an engine I do not have a history on I immediately do the following.

1. Get a manual.

2. Replace the water pump.

3. Rebuild carb(s).

Jeffs62

Cadet

well i took her out yesterday after work. Start up was better but still sounded like half the enginge was running at first then all of a sudden it all kicks in.. ran the decarb.(3/4 gallon of gas with on can of sea foam and correct oil mixture) smoked like crazy. ran through the tank put it back to the regular tank. seemed to run better but with the idle, my idle adjustment screw is almost all the way screwed in and i got it set on the verge of jolting the motor when you put it in gear. I couldnt get the rpms, my portable tach isnt working...i was thinnking about running another tank of the decarb...any suggestions...and if you believe its time for a rebuild on the carb...how difficult is it and ive been reading about syncing the carbs is that tough as well...thanks for all the input guys...youhave even helped me convince my wife to go out fishing with me last night...lol

iwombat

Captain

Sounds like your idle jets are all clogged up. Time to rebuild the carbs.

Jeffs62

Cadet

I also have another question. Is there anything wrong with unplugging the fuel line and letting the engine run out of gas...is it good or bad or does it make any diffrence...thanks

iwombat

Captain

It's something you shouldn't do on a multi-carb motor. One carb will run out before the other (the top), and starve cylinders of lubrication while the motor runs on the other cylinders.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Take those carbs off and give them a bath and rebuild like stated. You can get the kit right here on iboats for about 12 bucks. Pay special attention to those jets, clean them out good, with wire and compressed air or an aerosol cleaner if you have to , dont just soak them. Watch this video if it is your first time rebuilding your carbs.

"http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/TMDsVideoChronicle2.wmv"

You idle should be set to 650 under load in gear.

Also post your model number and we can determine an exact year for you .

Jeffs62

Cadet

I picked up my rebuild kits today and got the carbs off, I will rebuild tomorrow and then drop her in the lake either thursday or friday for the test run...just one last question....im use to fidling with cars mostly but where would i hook up the wires to check for the rpms..thanks

Jeffs62

Cadet

alright well i rebuilt the carbs, runs a little better but it hasnt solved my problem, actually i believe i found another problem, the plate on the back of the engine between the heads seems to be leaking water next to the number 2 cylinder in the bottom corner( can this be leaking into the cylinder some how and fowling out that cylinder in low idle situations and not allowing it to fire when i first start it up)and also on the oustside around the number 3 cylinder there is some oil? any suggestions? by the waythemodel number is
J88MSLEOS, thanks guys

iwombat

Captain

That's the exhaust cover gasket, and yes it can leak into the exhaust ports. That needs to be addressed right away before you have a real intrusion problem. It's probably why your idle is a little messed up and it seems like its dropping a cylinder once in awhile.

Take out your spark plugs. I'll bet one looks like it was steam cleaned.

Tinman57

Seaman

I too tried the starting "formula" on my 1996 88, and it made a huge difference. She starts right up now, where before it was a long and embarassing process.

Jeffs62

Cadet

well i hate to bring this to a close on a bad note but i just took off the exhaust manifold plate and found out that number three and four pistons blew their rings and are about ready to grenade themselves, its funny how something just a little frustating to deal with like the idle can turn into a nightmare of having to buy i new engine...I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP AND HOPE I CAN CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING BACK. thanks everyone

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You can buy a new engine of course but why not rebuild the one you have? Spend a few hours reading posts here and you may get a sense of what is involved.