low rpm's

owenton1

Cadet
I just bought a 1989 stratos 201 pro it has a 1989 200 evinrude on it when i tryed it out the speedo wasnt working or the tach it had a 20 pitch raker prop on it so i felt it should turn a 24 raker so i put one on it i got the speedo working and for some reason the tach works now i ran it today was diapointed in the performance it only ran 57 mph at 5100 rpm it has a 10 inch jackplate on it i raised the motor up about 1 inch didnt seem to help it now sets about 3 inches (center line of shaft) below the bottom of the boat is this the best i can do anyone have any suggestions?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: low rpm's

You say you felt it should turn a 24 Raker. What's that feeling based on?

While the Raker has decent lift, it's been our experience that those boats could use all the lift they can get. The Turbo Lightnings have worked well on those boats for us. Which Raker are you using? The first generation with the small vent holes, the second generation with the larger holes or the Raker II?

owenton1

Cadet

well i based the 24 pitch prop on that a buddy of mine had a 20ft hydrosport and was running a 26 pitch raker on it and it had a 1989 200 evinrude it ran about 72mph i know thats a different boat but i had to start somewhere the prop has the bigger vent holes its not a rakerll i was just disapointed in its performance thought it would get at least 62mph maybe the ole motor is tired.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You're right at about 10% slip and that's pretty good. At this point I'd try to gain rpm by working the set up. If you gained by raising the plate I'd keep going in small increments.

It's really hard to judge one 20' boat to another. Once upon a time I had a 15' Stingray ski boat and a 15' Allison. With the same motor one was a 53 mph boat and one ran 80. Not all boats are created equal.

owenton1

Cadet

Thanks for the advise next time i have it out ill try raising the motor up alittle at a time don"t want to go to high and loose water pressure though. right now at full trim it dosent throw a very high rooster tail maybe alittle under the top of the cowl.