New to boating, first major problem

Jon_Glastron

Seaman Apprentice
I finally purchased a boat/motor/trailer used.

The boat is a 1985 16foot Glastron with a 100 hp merc.

The trailer says Conroy on it.

On the way home from picking it up, we had a problem. The brackets the hold the bunks up laid down flat and the boat sat down on the trailer instead of the bunks.

The bunk brackets are welded on the triailer in an "L" shape. I managed to get the boat home but now I need to figure out what to do.

My thought are to somehow jack the boat up high enough to remove the bunks boards, straighten the bent brackets, reinforce the brackets, reinstall the bunk boards and I should be good to go???

How can I jack the boat up? Can I simply use a floor jack with a 2x6 on the top in the center bottom of the boat in the back and front?

Thanks for info you can add.

EDIT.

Finally found the correct serch term on how to jack the boat up. I am still a little confused. If I lower the front of the trailer and crib the back of the boat, then raise the front, this should lift the back off of the trailer.

The can I simply put a floor jack under the front center "V" and jack the front of the boat until it clears the bunks?

Do I then need to some somehow install boards similar to the bunks from the front crib to the back to support the boat along its length?

I am considering working on the trailer while it is under the boat, any thought goos or bad?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New to boating, first major problem

you lower the tongue, as low as possible, block the stern on each side of center, then raise the tongue, this will pick up the stern, raise the tongue, high enough you can block the bow, lower the tongue, and the boat will be clear of the trailer, then you can get under an repair. i do not recommend jack stands as they are too unstable. always a block of wood between hull and supports. i like to use 6x6x12 wooden blocks cross hatched to block mine.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Tash is right on the money. Its an easy way to raise the boat off the bunks while on the trailer.

Another method (this is the one I used while adjusting a new trailer's bunks to match the boat) is to put a scissor jack between the frame and hull at the chine or under the transom. Use blocks of wood or lenght of 2x4 where necessary. This will allow easy adjustment of boat up/down while setting up the new bunk height. Do one corner then the other.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've also used an 8ft 2x4 to using the trailer as a fulcrum, to help adjust the boat, and bunks, also putting a floor jack under the adjustable bunk mounts, to raise the bunk, and hold it in place while tightening the bolts.