200 ocean runner smokes

JMO

Seaman
hello i have a 1999 ocean runner i have just recentley put a new vro because it was bad but now i am having the same promblem but a little worse it will smoke at idle and after coming off a plane all fuel hoses seem fine no leaks just smoke and it stinks does anyone have any ideas

D

DJ

Re: 200 ocean runner smokes

Moving to Johnson/Evinrude questions and repair.

JMO

Seaman

why am i putting this in the wrong place all the time or better what am i doing wrong so i acn correct post from now on thank u

JMO

Seaman

and can anyone help me here or do i have to go some where else in this fourm

JMO

Seaman

iam am just looking for some advice

iwombat

Captain

It should smoke some at idle. Just how much are we talking about here?

JMO

Seaman

thank u finnaly some one . it is not a crop duster but after trolling or coming off plane smokes 6 on a zero to 10 scale and smells bad gas is fresh new seperator new plugs new filter new vro but has never been this bad and getting worse

iwombat

Captain

The only way a VRO is going to over-oil like that is if it's faulty (we have a new VRO here so I'd cross that off), or if there's an air leak or restriction. Double, triple and quadruple check all your hoses and fittings between the tank and the motor. Or, just replace the whole lot. Have you cleaned out the anti-siphon valve?

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to add to what iwombat said. :)

I had a similar problem, but I will tell you how I corrected it.

I did have a faulty VRO replacement from the dealer that was immediately replaced with a new one. They are like anything else. Every once in awhile they DO have a bad one slip through the cracks, and I just got the bad one on that time around.

You should absolutely follow all of the proper test procedures immediately after installing the new VRO to ensure it is in good working order. If you need a list of things to do I can post it. You need to count the pulses of the VRO at low AND high RPMs to make sure it is correct and in good working order. New or not. This is the first thing that should be done after installation. Don't just hook it up , and assume it works fine just because it is new.

Next, you might have an air leak somewhere that doesn't show itself until the necessary pressures of your engine present themselves. An example would be that it smokes excessively at high RPMs. In that case you need to check the pressures at High RPMs. Only then may it rear it's head, and you find out the source of the problem. You can test the engine at idle all day long, but in this instance you would never find the issue.

Finally, in a pinch you can remove the anti-siphon valve, but I wouldn't unless you just have to. I would replace it if it's not letting enough air through. Sometimes they get stuck, and don't allow enough air through which causes the engine to work harder to pull the necessary fuel through the hoses. The result is an engine that is starving for fuel which is dangerous, because this leads to overheating, and power head damage.

JMO

Seaman

is the anti siphon vavle on the bottom of the powerhead just about under the vro and how do i check the pulse that u where talking about and i think i am going to replace all the lines some seem old and hard its only money at this point thanks

JMO

Seaman

if the pulse thing is where i just said it is brand new i comes with the new vro

iwombat

Captain

Anti-siphon is on the fuel tank outlet.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

If you buy a new OMC VRO they will not have the proper test procedure with the instructions, so let me know if you need it.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A few things i thought of not that i can really help, but 2 strokes smoke and stink thats normal. Dirty carbon fouled engines smoke more, but you motor should not have visible smoke on a plane at WOT.

I did think of this though did you premix your gas like you should whenever you replace or work on a vro untill u ensure that it is oiling, and if so this means that you have double oil in the system so instead of running at like 50:1 at a plane you are now running at 25:1. You did not say any of this just thinking maybe u mixed the gas and forgot about that fact and assumed the vro was over oiling!

JMO

Seaman

no i did not mix but go thought . yes i will need to know how to check the new vro it has been raining like crazy here in south flordia so i am runningin and out of the rain i am doing all of what everone has told me

JMO

Seaman

and it does not smoke on a plane but when i come off the plane and at idle for a few min. it starts again

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just a couple of things -- it's not a VRO but an OMS pump. Calling it a VRO can / will confuse some mechanics or parts guys. They look the same but are different. It will pump extra oil if there is a fuel restriction. That's it's way of trying to save the powerhead.

What spark plugs are you using? It can make a big difference.

Are the t-stats in place and working properly?

What oil are you using?

JMO

Seaman

quicksilver therostats i dont know the temp gauge says 150 wot for as long as i keep it there it drops down a little at trolling speed plugs i dont know right now its pouring but they are what on the id plate on the side of the motor how do i check the stats