help omc stringer tilt

chadruth

Cadet
All I hear is a click in the selinoids. I have replaced the tilt motor, checked for power to selinoids, and torn apart the gear box yet still nothing. Did hear some motor noise though (like the new tilt motor was trying to work).

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: help omc stringer tilt

Cleaning all the terminals and connections at the relays always a good idea - then if still no go - grab a 9/16" wrench and remove the three bolts holding the quadrant gear onto the outdrive - then lift the drive up and take the quadrant out- now you can see if the drive lifts up and down freely- now with the quadrant gear off- try the motor again and see how well the motor performs with only the load of the tilt clutch on it- if it's still labouring, you can pull out the clutch assembly and find out why it's not turning

chadruth

Cadet

Is ther a way to test my new tilt motor by overiding the whole system (solenoids and such)

whywhyzed

Banned

yep -you can simply jump +12V to the green (down) or to the blue (UP) . The black wire is ground.
Use heavy wire and expect a fair spark.

chadruth

Cadet

jump from the battery i assume?, I'm sorry but I'm notnderstaning. Kinda of new to this stuff. Do I just run 10 or 12 gauge wire directly to the motor from the battery?

chadruth

Cadet

Sorry, if my last question sounds stupid but my dad had heart surgery today and is not able to help me with my "project" just need details. joined this site today and have read must info on stringer tilt.

whywhyzed

Banned

yes from the positive terminal of the battery - run the blower first - sparks in the bilge and all....
If the spark is really big and the wire starts to heat up - go back to my first reply and check all those things.

KaGee

Admiral

When you say "new" tilt motor... do you mean new out of the box or new to you, used??

BTW my "NEW" ARCO tilt motor seems to be operating as advertised.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a similar problem and did what was mentioned, I jumped the solenoid. In my case, It ruled out the motor and tilt mechanism. Turned out it was a bad connection at the solenoid. You do run the risk of blowing your fuse though, I jumped it with a wire then flip the ignition on momentarily and checked it. Don't know if that really helps not to blow the fuse but it worked. Then I did the same for the other solenoid that lowers the tilt. As mentioned you may want to remove the tilt moon gear. I think that is what its called. Then you can try to lift the drive to make sure its moving smoothly. There are zerk fitting under the black bumpers to grease the pivot trunnion.

chadruth

Cadet

thanks, for the help everyone I fixed my mistake. When i put the new "out of the box" motor in it fell apart on me, and I thought I had it back toghetgher right, but as I popped the top lid of the motor back on one of the brushes slipped off. I had to take the motor back off, for the second time twisting and turning and fighting the SOB, and fix the problem. All is good now though just got back from the river today with no tilt problems whatsoever.