temp sending unit

jimcav

Cadet
i have a 1993 mariner mag 3 when the sending unit for the temp gauge is cold what should the resistance be. also both unit are disconnected and removed from the head and the horn will beep steady when i turn on the ing.

thanks
jim cav

gss036

Commander
Re: temp sending unit

Not sure what a Mag 3 is, but your alarms should not be sounding just because you disconnected it. The temp sending unit has nothing to do with the alrarms, it just sends a signal to the guage. Overheat device closes a circuit by grounding the wire, thus sending a signal that cause the alarm to go off.
Teleflex says the sender value @ 75 degress is 550-750 ohms, 55 ohms@ 212 degress. Hope that helps you out.
You really need an OEM manual.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

If both senders are unplugged and you still get an alarm you either have a short in the wire that goes to them or a bad alarm module if that motor has one. Resistance should be very high on a cold sending unit.

jimcav

Cadet

i am reading about 900 ohms on the sening unit when i connect it back to the the gauge the gauge read about 180 to 190 degrees. I think i neeed to replace both the gauge and the sending unit.