starter spins clockwise?? counter rotational?

sankanother1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I rebuilt my OMC 1.8 Seadrive power head 18ahphd from boxes as some of you know already via my search for the impossible flywheel.Well after mounting the starter I had noticed it spins clockwise (to the right) now when it engages the flywheel spins counter clockwise(to the left).Is it possible this starter is from a motor that spins counter rotational?Do the outboard motors spin the opposite way for this application?I always thought it was in the lower unit?I can't seem to find any numbers on the starter.This motor has the standard rotational prop on it. :confused:

Last edited:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: starter spins clockwise?? counter rotational?

no, the counter-rotating part is in the gearbox.

If the bendix is jumping up to engage the flywheel, it could only possibly be turning ccw, otherwise the bendix would just spin with the shaft.

Unless of course there's a part of the world I don't know about (entirely possible) where engines run CCW and you got one of their starter motors.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If his starter is turning cw, he has some serious problems, ;) You werent looking at it from the ground up were you? lol.

sankanother1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was I supposed to be looking down at the flywheel?JUST KIDDING.The odd thing is the bendix only moves up the shaft when it turns cw.Looking down at it.Like the starter is made that way.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That is correct. If the shaft stands still and you rotate the bendix clockwise it will move up the shaft.

sankanother1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is correct. If the shaft stands still and you rotate the bendix clockwise it will move up the shaft.

Which spins the flywheel counterclockwise which is the wrong way.

DHPMARINE

Captain

This sounds too easy .... are the battery leads connected to the correct terminals?

Once I serviced a boat that had the battery reverse charged.

Good Luck

DHP

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the shaft doesn't move you have to turn the bendix clockwise to get it to move up. Therefore if the shaft moves counter-clockwise, the bendix will move up. When it gets to the end of the travel it too will turn counter-clockwise which turns the flywheel clockwise.

Are you bench testing by hand or have you hooked 12 volts to it?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If that is the case, better check out that rectifier after, quite possible shes fried.

sankanother1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is why my battery tender gave me a red trouble light..I walked out and hit the battery switch to 2 and it spins the correct way.WOW.talk about stupid..I feel like i'm 12 again.I can not believe I missed that.In all my years I have never ran into a battery reverse charged.It did not even dawn on me.Now for some wiring issues..Thanks all for the help once again.Sorry to have troubled you for such an overlooked problem.I owe you all a beer.

sankanother1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If that is the case, better check out that rectifier after, quite possible shes fried.

I have another one but that was my spare,I will get back to it in the daylight tomorrow.I hope I have a 50/50 chance.:redface:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Dont want to spoil anything for you, but be sure to test the rectifier before boating again.

Sorry typing at the same time....Glad you got it, good luck.

Chris

Last edited:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Don't worry about it being an overlooked situation. I bet you'd be surprised how many times that's been done. This isn't the first time we've talked about it here. Check (change) the rectifier like HT mentioned and lets go fishing / boating / cruising / skiing....whatever....

sankanother1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I will just use my spare for now.I know it is good and I am getting anxious with all of the work on this motor. This is why I talk so highly of you guys out on the water..I am from Chicago and always Owned i/o's up there I now live in Florida where outboards are an abundance.I thought I would give them a try.A great learning experience rebuilding one of these things especially from boxes of parts.I did learn my lesson with incomplete omc motors, chasing parts for these things will drive you to drink.Now I have the parts resources and knowledge and will be looking for more.Thanks again:D

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Chasing parts for an OMC is one of the easier ones! Wait till you run across a motor from brand X and they have 2 or more models of the same hp in the same year with totally different parts.

Or someone starts mixing & matching. I looked at a 3 cylinder motor some poor guy bought on Ebay yesterday. He bought it as a late 80's. The powerhead was a 72 or 73. The lower unit was from the early 70's, heaven only know what the carbs were from. The coils were from a 1969 - 72 V4 and I don't think the shift linkage is for the unit that's on there. I think it'll shift backwards.

But -- he bragged about the good deal he got.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

still wondering....if the starter shaft was spinning CW, why did the bendix engage?

sankanother1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was stuck up to engage.Today when I went out to turn it over the bendix would not engage at all.I had to clean and grease the shaft for it to try to engage.Now it needs help(push it up with my finger) to climb the shaft while spinning but when it engages the flywheel it turns the motor over.

Last edited: