gas hog?

Bassy Jr.

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1988 bayliner with a force 120 on it, I was hoping it would get better fuel economy than my old 73 johnson 135, but it almost seems worse, Im wondring if I need to lean it out a little it does run just a little rough at low speeds, any suggestions?************

I can only get up to about thirty mph, is this normal? I thought I would do better than that! The boat is only 18.5' capri.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: gas hog?

12 or so gallons per hour? That's about what to expect.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was just reading up on the very topic. The ignition timeing and sinc may be off a little. So the book said.

I have a 125,we went off the coast ,ran about 1 hr 45 mins and when I filled up at the end of the day I had used 7 gallons. I was surprized in a good way. Of course the seas were flat and I was running trimed out at 38 mph according to the boats speedo. I did get to 40 but cut back a tad to cruse.

I dont think I had a bubble in the tank but may have.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 125 averages 'bout 6 - 7 gal per hour. Watch out that you don't lean it out too much, you will melt a piston and that will cost you a wee bit more than a tank of gas :) Better to idle a bit rough than to be too lean.