Water Temp ?

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is probably a stupid ? but i am new to boating and outboards. Is there a certain water Temperature you should try to keep the motor out of the water . I am running a 1964 evinrude 75 electric shift. my concern is will it hurt the motor by running it in cold water with the motor being warm then having the rapid cool down when the thermostat opens due to dissimilair metal. any input is greatly appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water Temp ?

Cold water will not hurt the motor. If the boat is left in the water, and the water may freeze or the air is freezing, leave the motor in the down position so water doesn't freeze inside the lower unit. if you pull the boat out of the water, leave the motor down to drain.

That motor has a thermostat so in cold weather the motor will still run at the proper temp (140degrees). You will see some steam from the motor in cold weather, but this is normal.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok Chris thank u I trailer the boat when not being used the motor is stored down even when i am strapping the boat down i put the motor down to drain . I just didn't want to damage anything by going out when it gets colder .

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The thermostats let water bleed by even when they are closed just so there is not a shock to the metal. No real worries.

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

i am an auto tech but the water they deal with warms as the motor does so just a little iffy about it thank you

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hear you on your concern with the auto engine. Where you get into trouble there is where you have a hot block and put in cold tap water.....the hot block was a result of a malfunction, not normal system operation.....and whether or not it causes a problem when introduced, depends upon how it is introduced.

In normal operation, the thermostat opens and closes as a result of temp differential.

Your car and your boat will operate in freezing conditions without a problem under normal operating conditions.

Mark

mrfixitman40

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you all getting the multiple opinions all being the same takes a load off my mind