Merc 6.2 - Right Side Drain Plug?

pjrogers

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. On the right side of our engine, a Mercruiser 6.2MPI s/n OMO67223, there are two blue plastic drain plugs - one on the exhaust manifold, and the other on a Y-fitting on the lower part of the engine block. The Y-fitting has a wire coming out of it - I assume from an oil pressure or a water temperature sensor. Anyway, the Mercury Mercruiser manual that came with the boat specifies starboard drain plugs on the manifold and also on both the block and the Y-fitting, "if so equipped".

So my question is this: should there be starboard drains on the block and the Y-fitting, or does the Y-fitting do the trick for that side of the block? (and I'm now going to go nurse my elbow, scraped mercilessly while contorting to reach the flipping fuel cooler drain; a beer applied to the inside of the throat ought to do it :)

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Merc 6.2 - Right Side Drain Plug?

every blue plug is a drain, pull them out if you are winterizing

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Merc 6.2 - Right Side Drain Plug?

The wire is probably for a knock sensor. I am a little confused by using the right side along with starboard ;) but check the other side of the block, there should be another blue drain. The block is only one cavity, but pull it anyway, if equiped. If you bang you elbow, etc take another one of your pills. :)