Zodiac Futura Glue Problems

pauljs

Recruit
I have a 2001 Zodiac MK2 Futura, which has been for the most part a very fun boat. The problem is that the glue that adheres the transon to the hull tubes has dried out and released several times, even after repair at an authorized Zodiac facility. As is this was not enough of a problem, the bottom of the boat also started to become unglued. (this was in about 2004)
After 6 months of trying to convince Zodiac that there was a serious problem, they finally replaced the boat, excluding floor boards, seats and console. I have had this boat for about 2 years and the problem is starting again.
After extensive research, i have learned that the problem is the PVC hulls. The glue just does not hold for long periods (not that 2 years is a long period). Hypalon on the other hand is a great material that will withstand the test of time.
Is there anyone else having the same issues?

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Zodiac Futura Glue Problems

yes hypalon is a great material but hypalon can only be glued whereas PVC can be welded ...... zodiac needs to wake up and make use of new technology .... maybe you can try and find a a inflatable boat builder that welds their tubes so they can repair your boat .... the companies here in SA that I design boats for weld all their tubes and give a lifetime guarantee on all the seams ...... polyurethane is now better that hypalon but very heavy ......

pauljs

Recruit

Will the "welding proccess work on PVC to transon applications or only PVC to PVC?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

only pvc to pvc, but that is why we first cover the transom with pvc that weld the tubes to the transom ...... if that makes sense ...

pauljs

Recruit

Sorry,really does not make sense to me. On the ends where the PVC tubes glue to the transom, at least from the factory, the transom is bare wood.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

spiden32

Recruit

I unfortunately noticed a similar problem on my Futura MK II as I packed it away for the winter. When I removed the plywood floor, I noticed that about 6 inches of what appears to be the middle seam had separated (no ripping). I just bought the boat this year. It is a second hand 2003 model and this was the first time I disassembled it.

This is my first Zodiac so I'm hesitant to fix it myself... Looks like I'll be taking a visit to the dealer in early spring.

jayjensen

Cadet

I have a mid-nineties smaller cadet (that has lived a sheltered life) with the same problem....Zodiac and the repair shops all say that if the glue starts to go, do not try to patch it as the rest of the joint will soon follow, that you need to rip out and reglue the entire seam -floor and or tubes to transom. At a major percentage of new cost they all say to throw it away. I did not buy mine intending that it is disposable! No more Zodiac for me.

I do intend to buy a quart of the two part glue and try to fix it myself. It is worth that effort and investment.

pauljs

Recruit

Zodiac actually gave me a brand new boat in 2006 to replace the 2001, hoiwever, the transom has fallen off of this one too, less than 2 years later. They now say the warantee only covered the original 2001 boat and will no longer cover repair. $1500.00 to glue the transom back on! No more Zodiacs for me! I will make sure everyone who owns one of these boats knows that they have a problem waiting to happen.

Turin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just glu again every year and a few screws works fine for me my zodiac is from 1987.