2001 GTX MPEM / Lanyard

crb340

Cadet
Interesting situation;

Have an issue that when I plug in the lanyard I do not get the 2 beeps, gauges do not come on and ski will not turn over. Thought I had an MPEM issue. Took to the dealer and they said they could not communicate to the MPEM. Have pinned out all of the harnesses, replaced post.
I pulled the 15 AMP fuse in the relay box while the lanyard was on the post and the ski came to life. It started and when on the lake runs perfect. If I pull the lanyard and reinstall, the ski will not turn on the gauges and start unless I pull the 15amp fuse and reinstall (this is the fuse that provides 12V to the MPEM).
I have since added a switch to break the circuit to the MPEM when I want to ride the ski and it will start and run perfectly. Talked to the dealer and they have no idea and was amazed that I even found how to make it function in this way. I am fine using it this way but wondered if anyone has ever heard of this scenerio before. It is for sure not a ground or power issue as I have ohm'ed out and confirmed that every circuit has proper continuity.

Thanks for any ideas

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2001 GTX MPEM / Lanyard

I believe there is a timed relay that shuts off the mepm if you leave the key plugged in with the engine off, that may be sticking or not working, but it is a defective mepm and no way to repair it.

crb340

Cadet
Re: 2001 GTX MPEM / Lanyard

I believe that you are correct. However, as long as I do not remove the lanyard and use the start button to turn on and off the engine I can restart after any amount of time. Just pressing the start button turns on the gauges and allows the ski to run.

I also think that the MPEM is defective. I think when the power is disconnect and reconnected the MPEM goes into a search mode of all inputs and if it sees the lanyard it will turn on. If not, it shuts down permanently until it is reinitialized by disconnecting and reconnecting the power supply.

As long as it keeps working in this way I do not plan to spend $700.00 for a new MPEM. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this type of function.

Thanks for your comments.