Ground clearance?

erikgreen

Captain
Hey all -

I just finished putting new axles on my trailer. I couldn't find axles the right length that weren't drop type (shopping at Northern tool) so I bought a pair with a 4 inch drop. Thanks to advice here, I adjusted the spring pads for them and mounted them correctly.

However, they're drop axles... I hadn't really calculated it out before, but I think the ground clearance on the lowest part of the trailer is now about 6 inches. It's a steel crossbar. It's not likely to be a problem durability wise, but does anyone know if there's a minimum legal height for a trailer in MN?

I got the brakes and hubs installed last night too.. I still need to put on the tongue swing, coupler, lights, break-away, wiring... but it's all coming together now :)

Erik

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
Re: Ground clearance?

eric
dont know about there but i have never heard of a min. ground clearence here in the west.
if you have any probs it will most likely be with skeg clearance on your out drive. sounds like you adjusted for this.

erikgreen

Captain

Well, the skeg on the outdrive has been completely snapped off, so I don't have to worry about that at least... until I get a new one :)

Actually, the boat itself will only be an inch lower than it was... I had to shim up the main part of the trailer to fit the new axles, so only the crossbars with the axles are that low.

Erik

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You're not going off roading with it, are you? At 6 inches, you will miss dead cats and skunks and most road debris so I think you will be alright. If it's taller than 6 inches, I would go around it anyway (if I had the option.) I have had one or two cars that I could not get my floor jack under the front A arms and it's only about 6 inches closed