25 hp not hanging perpendicular to transom

bill townes

Recruit
I have a 2002 25ELH serial number OT546357 that I bought used. It does not hang straight down when clamped on transom. It appears that the clamps that hold the middle of the shaft are closer on one side than the other. I checked the rubber bumpers inside the clamps and they are not deformed. Could the tube (the one with the 3 holes on each side at the bottom that accept the clamps) that is part of the swivel head be twisted? If so, how can I twist it back so that the motor will hang straight down? The motor has the original lower unit. The skeg has a slight bend in it so it may have struck something but not hard enough to break the skeg off.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 25 hp not hanging perpendicular to transom

Usually if you loosen 1 of the nuts on the tilt tube you can move the alignment quite easily

bill townes

Recruit

There doesn't look like there is a bolt to loosen. In fact the parts diagram shows the tube and the casting that it fits into as one part. I have looked for a pin or a split in the casting but can't find one. It looks like the tube might be press fit into the casting.

bill townes

Recruit

I am not sure if I am correctly copying this link so if I am not look at the swivel bracket assembly page at the same link that you were on. That is the same page that I have printed out (the number 5123 is at the bottom right). Now look at part number 7, the swivel head. I think that the down tube is twisted inside the top casting. If the down tube is twisted slightly the clamps and mounts (items 30 and 36) would not be evenly spaced on each side of the motor shaft, as is the case on my motor.http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_pictures3.asp?dnbr=803127001&ivar=IMAGES/COMMON/5123.png&inbr=11407&bnbr=160&bdesc=Swivel+Bracket+Assembly

Laddies

Banned

Bill, sorry for dropping the ball, if item 7 was twisted or bent I think that item 12 would not fit between the 2 clamp brackets but I don't have a 20 or 25 here to go look at right now. if the bushing at the bottom of item 12 that #7 turns in was worn or damaged that might cause the problem, how far out of plum is the torque tube? Would a small shim under 1 clamp bracket fix it because if there is no play in the bushings and a small shim would correct it that could prove to be the easiest fix, Other wise your gone to dissemble thing to find the problem and I can tell you much more unless you could post some pictures--Bob

bill townes

Recruit

I will make photos and post as soon as I can. If you hang a plumb bob from the back of the motor down past the prop shaft the center of the prop shaft is about 1.5 inches to the right of the string. The motor is cocked enough that the edge of the trim cover underneath the bottom cowl strikes the lever that holds the motor in the raised position (starboard side) when the tiller handle is pushed to the port side. I have compared spacings of the motor mounts on the left vs. the right (both lower and upper) and everything I see indicates that that tube on item 7 is twisted inside the casting on the top of item 7. At first I thought that items 30 were twisted but they are held in place by the 6 holes at the bottom of tube on item 7. An additional indicator that the tube is twisted is that when viewed from the front of the motor, the split between the two halves of item 30 does not line up with a mark on the housing assembly fin (item 12 http://http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_pictures3.asp?dnbr=803127001&ivar=IMAGES/COMMON/5133.png&inbr=11407&bnbr=180&bdesc=Driveshaft+Housing+Assembly ) immediately below. I assume the mark was put there for aligment but it may be the remnant of a line left from the casting process. The motor runs well, it just hangs off plumb. If the tube is pressed into the casting I can pressed it out and realign before pressing back in using an arbor press. I just want to get advice before I tear the whole thing down. Thanks for your help...

Last edited:

Laddies

Banned

Bill it sure sounds like you have found the problem but I think the tube is cast into the top support so I don't think you could press it out. ck, around for a donor engine