Which would you want?

Boatnub

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I am currently boat shopping and would like your opinion on a couple of boats I am looking at. I want a boat so that my boys and I can fish some but also take my wife joy riding when she wants to go (she will not fish).

Boat #1 - it is a 1989 19' Swan Point that is great condition and has a 1987 Yamaha 150 2 stroke V6 (I have a post in the engine section about this motor) and the motor has been well maintained. Overall this boat is in great condition, a few seats, GPS, Depth finder, radio for 7000.00

Boat #2 is a 1989 19' Bayliner Center Console with a 2004 Tohatssu Motor 115 HP and very low hrs. This motor has been well maintained also. The boat and motor on this boat are in great condition as well. It also has GPS, depth finder, radio but has a few more cushions and 2 covers.

I know I have to decide which is going to be better for what I want to use it for, my question is this. If both boats were could be used to satisfy myself (well more so my wife) which would you as a more experienced boater rather have, which would you feel more comfortable with?

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Which would you want?

All else being equal, I would not be afraid to go with the Tohatsu. If is 17 years newer and by many people considered a very duarble and reliable engine. What you should consider in this is if you will serivce it or if you need it serviced. If needing service, ensure you have access to a service provider for either motor.

I am not an expert here, but I understand the late eighties were not good for bayliners in terms of rot. If this is a Trophie, I am not srue that comment applies. But on both you want to dig into the nether regions of the boat looking for rot. Use the rubber mallet onthe transom to look for the dull thud and look for bounce on the deck.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'd look at support in your area (easy driving / towing distance). If you have strong support for both motors, you're back to a personal preferance. If your area has weak support for either, then the decision is easy.

Boatnub

Cadet

Hello again,

Just dropping a line to let you know I went with the Swan Point and took it out this Saturday. The motor fired right up and I ran it pretty hard for a couple of hrs without any problems at all.

One thing I did notice though is that the boat seems to tilt a little to the right when driving the boat. Sits in the water fine, just a small tilt when movong...any ideas of what it could be or how to fix it?

Thx