Converting a wood fire pit to something else

thenotsofreeboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey have any of you converted a wood fire pit to a propane one or other fuel one? I have been looking at kits on line and they are expensive. I thought about using an old bbq grill burner and regs but i don't think that will put off enough flame and heat. I made a proto type with copper pipe and using a propane torch just for burner tests and it seems a little wild (burned my eye lashes but kept the eye brows:eek:) last night before we went out to dinner. Because of recent developments i am starting to doubt the saftey of this home made time bomb and was thinking of using kerosene or citronella in a stainless steel "tank" with 1/2 inch tiki torch wicks going through pipes drilled through the lid of the tank. I figure it has got to be as safe as those tiki torches, or more because it will be in the copper fire pit. It is going to be getting cold and would like something that is fast warm and easy to use when i go out to smoke.

Any ideas? Other than stop smoking.

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Converting a wood fire pit to something else

Get you one of those turkey boilers at walmart and just use the burner. If you need more heat get some of the red clay flower pots and stack them upside down on top of the burner. Used a camper stove like that one time and the flower pots add a lot of heat. They help radiate the heat instead of it going straight up. And then you get to cook the turkey next year,,,LOL...ANIMAL :D

thenotsofreeboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I might look into that Animal, if i remember right they have those things for pretty cheap. and a quick look on the web says they have a 20 psi regulator and should shoot alot of BTU's. Umm fried turkey, fish, and hushpuppies all the more reason to look in to it.

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not as dum as I like people to think. If they think you're smart they expect more out of you. I like to keep them guessing. Hope that works for you, Its what I would do....ANIMAL :D

Xcusme

Commander

edit:...on second thought...naw, I won't say it....