Anchor Windlass

Bob Huff

Cadet
I'm like to have an electric anchor windlass added to my 2005 Troph 2002 walkaround. I've been looking for someone to do the work but can't find anyone so I may have to do it myself. :eek: Suggestions?

Sorrento 25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anchor Windlass

I did it and didn't find the work too bad. Make sure you have enough drop. You'll probably need to use a horizontal windlass. Mine is the Quick.

Run the wires first. I used 4 gauge, located the breaker near the helm (and battery), the relay in the anchor locker, and the switch in the dash. Mounting the windlass is simply locating the large hole above the center of the anchor locker, drilling the mounting holes, and sealing/bolting it in place. Use whatever works best for an anchor roller. Mine had a pulpit, and I found one that I was able to mount such that the anchor passes through the pulpit and hangs beneath it nicely. Don't forget a safety lanyard. Deck switches are optional. I'll probably add those and a line counter later.

Bob Huff

Cadet

I've got the roller and the pulpit. They came built in. I was primarily concerned with cutting a hole into the rope locker. I'll take your advice about the wiring. That actually seems the trickiest of the job thanks

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fixing to do it... Next question though. The didstance from where the anchor rests in the pulpit isn't that far from where the windlass will sit over the locker. This means the chain itself will probably have to a) be shorter or b) pass through the windlass also. I've seen picturres where the chain does pass through the windlass but I can't see how this wouldn't damage the windlass itself. Any experts out there can tell me how this works?

Sorrento 25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The chain always passes through the windlass. Make sure you buy the proper chain for your windlass. Mine has about 8" of chain exposed from the windlass to the swivel on the anchor.

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took my 2005 2002 into for it's yearly service. While thereI asked them about adding an anchor windlass. They told me you couldn't add one to this boat. I finnd that strange a I haven't really seen anything preventing it. Of course these are the same ones that told me that adding an AM/FM CD was going to cost me 600.00 since there wasn't anywhere to put it...
I'm going to do the radio myself. I hesitate to do the windlass since if it doesn't work, I'm out big $$$ plus have a hole that I'd drill for the rode.
Comments / suggestions ??

Sorento, you said you did it. What was the quick model you put on?

phishy

Cadet

Well no idea what they are talking about, cant do it on that model. I have a 2006 Trophy 2052. I found the install very easy. I have been using mine for over a year now with no problems. I have adequate space for rode. I have 300' with 20' of chain, i believe if i really push it can get at least 350' before becoming a problem with pile up. I generally send someone up to push the rode down if its a long drop. This way i have no chance of tangles on the next drop.
I have post on another website, tutorial type of my install. Feel free to ask any questions on mine if you like
Windlass Install

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I thought... Thanks. I downloaded and printed your installation Im gonna start on it next week.

phishy

Cadet

one thing i wish i would have got now, is a freefall windlass. Its not much more and way worth it. i usually just go up there now and pull it off the windlass and drop it by hand. Thats the easy part. Pulling it up on the switch.
Also take into consideration the extra draw your putting on your 2 battery set up and wire sizing for a long run. It may be cheaper to add a battery then to buy the larger wire and tax your system. I added my 3 battery in the port storage area in the cutty. Installed a fuse, isloator, fuse panel and the battery there.