Question on Towing weight

BobS14127

Cadet
I hope the experts on this board can help me out.

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota, 3.7 V6, 4x4, 3.55 rear axle, tow package(tranny cooler etc.), a Class 4 hitch and 20,800 miles. The maximum weight I can tow per Dodge is 4400 lbs.

I am looking at various 20, 21 and 22 ft Stingray boats and the weights approach 4200 lbs including trailer, fuel and water.

Then I read that I should not exceed 75-85% of the max towing weight.

Buying a new truck is not in the budget and neither is shortening the life of this one. Can I pull 4200 lbs? The trips would be from 30 to 100 miles, mostly highway.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question on Towing weight

I think your weight numbers need more attention. I just checked the web site and a 200LS comes in at 2700# dry, a 210 = 2850 and a 220 = 3000. Add 250 or so for fuel. You need a battery at 50#, additional safety gear at probably 100#, other stuff at probably 100# and a trailer at about 1000 pounds. So even with the lightest of the three you are at or over 4000#. If you look at trailering specs, you must deduct from the tow capacity the amount you put in the truck in the form of people and other stuff. You are at or over the limit and since the 3.7 V6 is on the smallish side for towing heavy loads, it is also hampered somewhat by the 3.55 gears. I would ask the dealer if you can hook up to the boat (or a similar one) and so how it works. You may be pleasantly surprised or you may be disheartened. It all depends on what you feel is adequate towing performance. The trailer will need brakes obviously.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need a smaller, lighter boat if you can't upgrade your towing vehicle, Bob.

I am always amazed at how little a Dakota can tow safely unless it is equipped with tougher drive train and higher ratio diff(s).

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree with JB, and a tail wagging the dog effect.

Also need to consider pulling the boat out of the boat launch. This takes some torque if it's a very steep launch ramp. Add some green slime (algae) to the wet pavement so your wheels slip and you could be going backwards, I've seen it before. Your 4WD is helpful here, though. Go to your local boat ramp and see what other boaters are pulling out with similar vehicles.

If you do make the purchase, I'd suggest a weight-distributing hitch to transfer some of the tongue weight to the front wheels. I think these are a must if you're approaching the maximum vehicle tow weight.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

He has a 4x4 -- getting up the ramp is not a problem. 4-low will pull a house off its foundation even with a 3.7 liter engine. Effective gear ratio in low/low is in the neighborhood of 55 - 60:1 depending on transfer case reduction ratio.

BobS14127

Cadet

Many thanks to all who responded to my post.

You've given me valuable information to consider and I thank you.

Bob