Help getting a stored boat going again

jglad

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 1993 Regal Valanti 176SE with a 4.3L Merc that has a shot lower unit and has been stored for the last 4 years, I have a new SE116 lower unit for it and was just wondering if there were any precautions I should take before trying to start it for the first time in years.

I was planning on putting Seafoam in the gas and topping off the tank, to get as much fresh gas in there as I could and changing the oil, but that was all that came to mind. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help getting a stored boat going again

I would strongly recomend removing the 6 spark plugs and put a little oil in each cylinder and then try to turn the engine over by hand (Change the oil in the engine before doing this). Put a spanner on the end of the crankshaft and turn, that way if anything has stuck open (valves, etc) You will not damage anything. Using the starter motor could be too violent for a first attempt. If you can rotate the engine a few turns, then put the plugs back in and try the starter motor. Also by turning the motor by hand, you will start to prime the oil system. The carb is probably going to need to be cleaned, but no harm in trying to start the engine first. Don't crank it for too long on the starter motor or you might damage the starter/battery..

Gary

jglad

Seaman Apprentice

That sounds like a good plan, how much oil should I put in each cylinder/ Just a little squirt or more?

As far as the Carb goes, I was planning on pouring some Seafoam right down the Carb after I get it running againg to try and get any junk cleaned out of there and changing the fuel filter (seperator).

Also planning to hit all of the Zerks with 2-4-c and work the steering back and forth to make sure it is all moving freely.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

I would just put a couple of CC's of oil in each cylinder, It doesn't matter if you put too much in, the excess will come out the spark plug hole and as you will be turning it over by hand, no harm will occur.

Pouring sea foam down the carb throat will do nothing for cleaning the carb. It will possibly help to clean the inlet valves. If the carb is blocked from residue left behind by the old fuel, the only solution is to dismantle the carb and clean it with a solvent and compressed air. This might not be necessary which is why I suggest you try to start the engine first. You might still want to pour some sea foam down the carb throat once the engine starts to help clean the engine, I just wanted to clarify that pouring the sea foam down the carb throat will not clean the carb.

Gary

Bondo

Staff member

I was planning on putting Seafoam in the gas and topping off the tank, to get as much fresh gas in there as I could

Ayuh,......

I think I'd pump out the 4 Year Old gas,+ Start with Fresh Gas.......

And,....... I Agree.....
Seafoam is some Pretty Good stuff,.....
But it's Not the Mechanic in a Can you Think it is............