15 Horse only runs when almost fully choked

!992 Evinrude 15 horse ran fine, then started stalling at high and low speeds. I found that it would keep running if I pulled choke out about two thirds. I rebuilt carb and fuel pump (have done many) checked all fuel lines and gas tank.....still the problem exists and has not changed. Do I have some kind of vacume leak or reed problem??? Stumped, got any ideas what to try next?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 15 Horse only runs when almost fully choked

you still have a dirty carb, did you remove the fixed high speed jet and clean it. and adjust the slow speed needle. choking is a sign of fuel starvation, are you sure the float needle is opening completely.

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

When it's running, does the fuel bulb remain hard? A bad connection at my tank end recently caused me major headaches..

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It sure acts like it's starving for fuel,classic symtoms.On some engines the fuel pump pulse port gets pligged.Have you tried squeezing the primer bulb?Pull the gas line at the carb and crank with it in a can.Should be strong even pulses.Check carb again all passages and jets clear and prove it.Pull the plugs and crank it.You should feel a slight crankcase pressure and it may make a puck puck sound.Not likely the problem but a lack of crankcase pressure could indicate a severe crank seal problem.But this usually is noticeable mostly by poor idle.
Usually bad reeds would spit out of the carb.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If it keeps running with the choke pulled out, there is fuel in the carb, so it should not be the pump.

I agree with Tash. The high speed orfice plug is clogged. It has to be absolutely clean, nothing else will do.

Thank all of you for your info, I will go back in the carb and recheck evrything.
Thanks again, Rifflerunner17

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

carb tool for jet removal, i made the red and black ones with my belt sander. the others are FR's

Attachments

• MVC-220S.JPG
    MVC-220S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0