2 Strokes In Cal and Surrounding States

MikeB

Cadet
I am repowering a 17ft aluminum boat soon. I am torn between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke, mainly because of the price. I understand 2 strokes in my power range (90 to 125hp) can't be sold in Cal. I live in Nevada. I don't know of a move a foot to eliminate the sale of 2 strokes here. But, I sure wouldn't want to purchase a motor and then not be able to use it here in a couple of years. What have some of you heard, if anything. I would go to dealers with this question, but not sure I would get the best answer. THANKS, Mike

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2 Strokes In Cal and Surrounding States

Have you been on a demo ride with a 4 stroke, Mike? You are trying to make a decision based on other people's perceptions. Not a good idea. Try several out for yourself.<br /><br />The technical arguments for 4 strokes are overwhelming, particularly for Computer Managed EFI 4 strokes. They do cost more than 2 strokes and carbureted 4 strokes. I believe that the added cost is more than justified in performance, economy and reliability.<br /><br />Decide based on what feels right for you, but FEEL it, don't go with what it feels like to me.<br /><br />Red sky at night.<br />JB
smile.gif

cabowaboranger

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2 Strokes In Cal and Surrounding States

r u in lake tahoe area i heard they not letting 2 storke motors on the lake anymore as well as those jet ski's i know here in cal u cant get the 2 strokes anymore i tried to buy one last month no go