40 hp Johnson starter vibration

Tommytwotone

Recruit
I have a 1979 40 hp Johnson outboard. I thought I had a problem with the return spring on the bendix of the starter because the bendix gear was jumping up into the bottom of the flywheel. It is now looking like the starter motor vibrates which causes it to turn and as it turns it is pushing the bendix gear up into the flywheel. I had the starter rebushed last spring. I can run a little over half throttle but when I start giving it more gas the gear starts ringing against the bottom of the flywheel. I'm afraid that one of these days it's going to get caught in the flywheel and I'll have a major melt down.
Any ideas on what I should do? I've cleaned and lubed everthing and everthing works just fine other than this vibration thing. I even put a new prop on this year thinking it would change the resonant frequency. I'm stumped.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 40 hp Johnson starter vibration

have you check the starter mounts. is the flywheel warped?

Tommytwotone

Recruit

Everything appears to be tight as far as the starter goes and I can't see any warpage with the flywheel. I'm wondering how much play there should be in the armature. Kind of a stupid design to begin with, why they didn't secure the top end of the armature shaft is beyond me. I guess I could put a new or rebuilt starter on, just hate to spend the money if that doesn't fix the problem.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take the starter to a starter/alternator shop and have them check it. tell them what it is doing.