Carbs - cleaning and adjusting

Bozol

Seaman
1992 90hp V4 Johnson

In efforts to fix a problem I took my carbs off to see if they were dirty in any way. They look fine, but I'd still like to give them a thorough cleaning - can I do this at home?

Also, I've never set the floats or needles on these carbs before (have done on my snowmachine). I can't even seem to fine the adjusting screws! What is the proper way to adjust a carburator?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Carbs - cleaning and adjusting

it has fixed jets, no adjusting. if you never cleaned them they are overdue. buy rebuild kits, diagrams are in the kits. you need a special tool to remove and replace the jets, below. i made mine from a screwdriver with my belt sander. it's really a simple job.

Attachments

• MVC-220S.JPG
    MVC-220S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0

Bozol

Seaman

is there anyway to clean jets without kits (i.e. take them out, clean, replace)? I live in a very isolated area (Western Canadian Arctic) and have to wait ages for parts from the south - our season is getting short and I don't want to miss any more than I have to!

Can the carbs be soaked in anything? Will blowing air through them do anything?

iwombat

Captain

It's best to get the kit, but I understand about being in BFE (or Old Crow).

Taking them apart and soaking in the 1 gal can of carb cleaner does wonders. So does blowing everything out with compressed air, or carb cleaner aerosol. The two places that are the most problematic are behind the high-speed jets (remove those with the tool) and under the core plug. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until you have a kit for the second one - you'll have to replace the core plug. Soaking can sometimes clean those out though.

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After soaking for awhile you can aid in the cleaning by taking a strand of copper wire and running it through all the little holes on the high speed jet and any of the other little bits and pieces that you've got then re-soak 'em and (as Iwombat says) blast them clean with compressed air. Worked for me.