Backup Camera: UPDATE

i386

Captain
I'm doing a little research on getting a backup camera for my truck. I've seen a few cameras that claim to work with any monitor. I'm assuming RCA jacks.

Since I didn't get the factory navigation option I was wondering if I could kill two birds at once. Anyone know if any good GPS units also accept an aux video input?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Backup Camera

I know that several of them do, and some play DVDs, too.

I use my GPS for the boat and hiking as well as in the car so the auto-only was not an oprion for me, but I was really impressed with the Pioneer in-dash unit that folds the screen away when not in use.

i386

Captain

Not bad at all! I could mount the monitor inside my forward sunglass holder (the truck has 2 of those so no loss there) which I think I can easily get power from the wires running the map lights. I'm mostly interested in the camera for hooking up the trailer. I'm sure I can power the camera from the trailer wiring harness. That's about how much play money I'll have left after I order my factory XM reciever too. I might look into the GPS thing some more but this is really affordable. Thanks!:):):)

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of truck is it?

Kenwood makes a real nice hard drive equipped, touch screen navigation setup that includes a dvd player and aux video inputs. It's got just about every popular connection including USB/Ipod controls.

Model# DNX7100
kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/Navigation/DNX7100

the backup camera that works with this model is:
Model# CCD-2000
kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/accessories/CCD-2000*Note* seems like kenwoods's site is being insanely slow, let me know if you can't pull up the info.

Let me know if you need a quote!

Last edited by a moderator:

i386

Captain

It's an '07 Nissan Titan LE. It has the nice RF sound system with 10 speakers and sub. I'm about to order the factory XM option for it. I'd like to keep things as stock looking as possible so I'm not really interested in an aftermarket head unit at this point. The stock system sounds pretty good actually.

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aye they do sound good but you mentioned navigation, one item that fits all your requirements! :)

i386

Captain

OK I did a little research (as I always do before I spend any money) and there are some mixed reviews on this product. It seems some folks are having problems with the camera due to RF interference.

Some of my reading says Wal-Mart sells these. As much as it pains me to shop there at least I know they'll take it back if it doesn't work. So that might be my next step.

i386

Captain
Re: Backup Camera: UPDATE

Just a quick note on the wireles VR3 camera. I bought one and tested it. Like other reviews I've read on it the noise from RF interference is just unacceptable. I'll be returning it. Here's a C&P from my post to the Nissan Titan forum id you're interested in the details of my experience...

I've been wanting to install a backup camera to assist with backing up to my boat trailer. I find myself getting in and out several times to make sure I don't get too close and hit my bumper.

I'd already read the negative reviews on the VR3 but decided to give it an honest try. I bought it at Wal-Mart so I figured I can take it back if it's not acceptable.

What's nice about this unit is that the video signal is wireless. You need only to connect power to the monitor and camera. I'd hoped after a successful test I could mount the monitor inside the larger of the two sunglass holders for a "stealth" install.

Mounting the camera to the license plate gives a good view of the area behind you but not the trailer ball which is important for my application of the camera. Using the supplied beveled washers still did not quite work and looked awful too. So for testing I taped the camera to the plastic part of the bumper. That worked.

The instructions recommend wiring the camera power to your reverse lights so that the camera is only powered up when you're in reverse (the same option is available for the monitor too though I just used the cig. lighter adaptor for testing). I removed my drivers side tailight assembly by removing the two philips screws. You need to only lower the tailgate to get to these screws. The light assemble comes right out. I just wanted to identify which wires powered the backup lights. It's the red wire with the blue stripe. With that identified I put the tailight back together. I wasn't going to make connections there, just identifying the wire. Next I crawled under the truck to find the wiring harness that feeds the lights. Easy. There's also a plug for it that's clipped to the frame. I unplugged the plug and inserted my camera power wires into the female side of the plug in the appropriate connectors to power the camera. That way I could power the camera for my test without committing to splicing anything.

Ok so I head up to the cab, turn on the monitor and put the truck in reverse. After about 8-10 seconds the picture comes into view. The picture quality is actually pretty decent. The problem, like others have mentioned is noise. So I covered my connection with aluminum foil to sheild it. There was a slight improvemement but still not acceptable. I then shielded all sides of the monitor except the front. My thinking was I'd block all RF coming in from other directions. This improved the noise problem even more. I even went inside and unplugged the wireless router and turned off our cell phones.

Still before I committed to permanent connections I wanted to try backing up to the trailer. Upon doing so the noise got worse and the picture was complety lost about 50% of the time.

Unacceptable.

I think I gave this a pretty fair effort to make this thing work and even with the added shielding could not achieve satisfactory results. I can't recommend anyone buy this product. Maybe I have a "noisy" neighborhood. Maybe it would work better on a shorter vehicle. Maybe other versions of the camera work better. My experience just wasn't good at all.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Here I go again spouting off about Toyota....

The back up camera on the new Tundra has a nice clear screen that replaces a storage compartment overhead. Small and compact and very $$$$ but clear as a bell. The camera is mounted in the tailgate handle.

In the Prius and the Highlander the camera is mounted is the license plate area off to the drivers side.

The camera covers quite an area and has a fisheye point of view. I will ask around to see what it would take to run a camera and a small screen.... I have friends that do surveillance work and make the camera units they use.

i386

Captain

Here I go again spouting off about Toyota....

The back up camera on the new Tundra has a nice clear screen that replaces a storage compartment overhead. Small and compact and very $$$$ but clear as a bell. The camera is mounted in the tailgate handle.

In the Prius and the Highlander the camera is mounted is the license plate area off to the drivers side.

The camera covers quite an area and has a fisheye point of view. I will ask around to see what it would take to run a camera and a small screen.... I have friends that do surveillance work and make the camera units they use.

I just talked to the wife about trading my new Titan on a new Tundra. I told her what you said about about it coming with a camera and that maybe I could just trade up. She said @$@%#$ and @$@#%#$ and %$^&$%^ right before everything went dark. Can't blame me for trying, but for now I think I have to come up with a way to put a camera in my truck. :p

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow sorry about upsetting the wife!! Put her in the truck bed and have a human back-up camera!;)

I could hear the little woman's voice in my head "a little more..... keep going... go this way NO NO go the other way.....Stop STOP STOP!!":eek:

mea01

Cadet

camping world has two magnetic sticks that attach to the hitch and trailer. when they touch you are aligned. works great and costs 20 bucks.